Finishing my rebuild-- how did I do?

GatorMike

Ensign
I realize the real test will be how it runs and holds up over time but I put together a few stats on my rebuild, Just wondering how others would rate my work. LOL this is for kicks and I want honest answers. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, I'm not taking any coments seriously.

1st let me give you a little background. I am a natural born terrible mechanic, I'm clumbsy with my fingers, forgetful, not well organized and messy I'm also a cheap SOB and will spend hours making a tool or part that I could have bought for $5. That said, on the other side I am patient, almost obsessive with my work ethics (I'll fiddle with a minor task until I get it right) also to my advantage this is not my first outboard rebuild, I have done it twice before. I rebuilt a 1.6 litre OMC in the mid 90s and a 115 Johnson 7 years ago.

Here are the stats on my rebuild. 98 Johnson 115 SPL
Time spent ------------------------------35 hrs +-
Parts I broke-----------------------------3 bolts none required heli coils or drillig & retaping. 1 plastic fuel line manifold $14. 1 shift cable not repaired yet.
Parts missing I have to pick up today------1 nut, 1 inspection port bolt, 1 head bolt, 1 plastic ball that connects throttle arm to timer base.
Parts I lost & already replaced-------------1 screw and clamp for timer base/trigger.
Parts left over I have no idea where they go-3 or 4 washers, 3 bolts. (the left over bolts I think can be explained by some replacement bolts I purchased).
Tasks left to complete---------------------install missing bolts & plastic ball, hook up battery, fix broken shift cable (boat item not engine part), start engine.
Oh I do have a vacume hose I have to find where it plugs into, it comes out of the left side of the crankcase just behind the starter solenoid and is about 18 inches long. Bet I'm gonna have to remove the carbs to find where it goes?

Haven't started it yet or checked the compression but I'm not worried. She rotates smothe & makes no odd noises and everything is torqued to specs, shouldn't be any problems.

OK so how did I do on a scale of 1-10?
Feel free to bust my chops, I can take it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Finishing my rebuild-- how did I do?

If this is a rebuild you forgot to "double the oil" :D and tell us you are aware of "break-in"

GatorMike

Ensign

Yes I am aware of the double oil. Thanks though.

jbjennings

Captain

Here are the stats on my rebuild. 98 Johnson 115 SPL
Time spent ------------------------------35 hrs +-
Parts I broke-----------------------------3 bolts none required heli coils or drillig & retaping. 1 plastic fuel line manifold $14. 1 shift cable not repaired yet.
Parts missing I have to pick up today------1 nut, 1 inspection port bolt, 1 head bolt, 1 plastic ball that connects throttle arm to timer base.
Parts I lost & already replaced-------------1 screw and clamp for timer base/trigger.
Parts left over I have no idea where they go-3 or 4 washers, 3 bolts. (the left over bolts I think can be explained by some replacement bolts I purchased).
Tasks left to complete---------------------install missing bolts & plastic ball, hook up battery, fix broken shift cable (boat item not engine part), start engine.
Oh I do have a vacume hose I have to find where it plugs into, it comes out of the left side of the crankcase just behind the starter solenoid and is about 18 inches long. Bet I'm gonna have to remove the carbs to find where it goes?

Haven't started it yet or checked the compression but I'm not worried. She rotates smothe & makes no odd noises and everything is torqued to specs, shouldn't be any problems.

OK so how did I do on a scale of 1-10?
Feel free to bust my chops, I can take it.

Well, I personally would see it as a "must do" to check the compression before running it, to see if the compression improved as the rings seated, and to compare it to the compression the motor had before I rebuilt it. Also, to have a figure to compare to a month or two down the road.

I have never rebuilt a motor that big........I'll bet it will be sweet to hear it for the first time. What did your rebuild entail? New pistons/ rebored cylinders? Or more? Did you repaint it and get it all spiffy or did it already LOOK nice?

Last of all.........GOT PICS?????!!:)

GatorMike

Ensign

Well, I personally would see it as a "must do" to check the compression before running it, to see if the compression improved as the rings seated, and to compare it to the compression the motor had before I rebuilt it. Also, to have a figure to compare to a month or two down the road.

I have never rebuilt a motor that big........I'll bet it will be sweet to hear it for the first time. What did your rebuild entail? New pistons/ rebored cylinders? Or more? Did you repaint it and get it all spiffy or did it already LOOK nice?

Last of all.........GOT PICS?????!!:)

I'll never know the compression just before I rebuilt it. The last time I used it all 4 cylinders were within 2 psi of 118. I got water in the crankcase and the lower right cyl rusted up pretty bad. Never got her broke loose untill I tore it down so I couldn't check the compression just prior to the rebuild. The other 3 cylinders just had a little surface rust.

Had the rusty cylinder bored out to .030 over and replaced the piston. Honed the other 3 and replaced all bearings, rings & seals except upper main. I probably should have replaced the other 3 pistons to be on the safe side but a lack of cash and a little worry about job security at the moment steered me away from the extra expense. I cleaned them up good and made sure the ring grooves were in good shape. I have more time than money right now due to cutbacks in work hours.

& yes I did repaint, even sandblasted some rusted bolt heads and touched them up with paint. Then after torqueing down my bolts I took a small brush and touched up any wrench marks. LOL like I said I have more time than money right now.

GatorMike

Ensign

Well, add another part to my parts I broke list. I found where that vacume hose goes to. There is a little check valve just below and to the left of the lower carb. I broke the nipple off of it when I unplugged the hose. I think I am going to give myself a D- on breaking parts. Between the two nipples I broke off and the shift cable I think I cost myself an extra $100.