am i paying too much?

ratpack5

Cadet
2004 johnson 175 carb.....engine service....lower unit grease changed, spark plugs, filter, grease engine, check compression.....i am paying a little over 200

MAW31

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: am i paying too much?

Having anyone more knowledgable than yourself review your engines condition is valuable beyond the labor.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I would by the OEM manual and learn to do what was billed myself. What was mentioned is not difficult and anyone could learn with a minimum of tools. The OEM manual would run you about $50. Two hundred dollars every season adds up quickly.

Having some basic knowledge about your motor (which one acquires when one works on his own motor) could be priceless if stranded out on the water. Also, this forum will help you with any question.

Mas

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also, if the shop is "rebuilding" your carbs...$200 is an excellent price (to get back to your original question).

Mas

ratpack5

Cadet

to be honest with you i dont think that the service touches the carbs. i am pretty sre that all it entails is lower unit grease, fuel filter, spark plugs, and greasing the grease points. i told him a couple of things i wanted to do, adn he said so u basically want the service....i asked what it entailed and he said filter, spark plugs, lower uit grease, aan compression check.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sounds fair to me, $85 / hour plus parts and tax. If you were to learn how to do it take the $85 / hour out and the warranty on the work but factor in the parts.