shift rod connection 9.9 Johnson 4 stroke?

OldFuryMan

Recruit
Hello:
I have a great little Johnson 9.9 electric start long shaft 2003 four stroke. I want to learn how to do change the impeller. I've done it on the main motor (a DT85 Suzuki) using the clymer manual specific to it. I wasn't thrilled by the lack of detailed pics for it because I had to do a ton of guesswork. I've looked for a factory manual for the 9.9 but had no luck and I don't want to go through the same problems with this Johnson, not to mention the chance of messing up a very good little motor by guessing. I cannot find the connection point for the shift rod. I assume it must be dissconnected before lowering the gearcase.
Thank You for your help.
Steverinomeister

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: shift rod connection 9.9 Johnson 4 stroke?

edit- I was removing my reply.

OldFuryMan

Recruit

Is "eidt" Canadian for the shift rod connection point?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

Looking at the parts diagram, it looks like you need to disconnect the upper shift rod (5) from the lower shift rod (23) by loosening the nut (14) from the turnbuckle (10). Is there a plate on one side of the lower housing covering a hole through which you could gain access?

An OEM service manual is invaluable compared to Clymer ... check eBay ... not cheap, but much better than anything else!

Attachments

• 2003 Johnson shift linkage.jpg
    2003 Johnson shift linkage.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0

OldFuryMan

Recruit

Thank you BankerJohn:
That helps me. That connection is out in the open so that must be it. I will proceed with caution.
Steve

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

I'd pay particular attention to the number of turns it takes to disconnect the turnbuckle from the upper shift rod! If you don't put it back to the same position it was in, it could effect shifting.