85 150, high idle, primer solenoid?

johninok

Recruit
New boat to me, has 85 150 johnson, starts and runs fine, but idles around 1500 rpm. If I fool with the primer solenoid red lever and put it about half way between run and manual, it idles about right.
Does this sound like it could be the primer? When I push the key in , it runs but sound like its way too rich, and just about dies, any input? Thanks a ton, John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 85 150, high idle, primer solenoid?

sounds like a fuel system problem. the red handle should be back over the solenoid.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a carb service is in order, motor should run properly without touching the primer.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

For your engine when idling, the carb butterflys should be closed. Visually check them when idling to make sure they are completely closed when in neutral. The actual idle speed is adjusted by changing the timing of the ignition. The spark lever idle timing screw should be resting against the powerhead when at idle. That screw can be adjusted for less timing- decreasing idle speed. You should set the idle timing when the boat is floating nomally at rest, in the water. Idle rpms of 650-750 when in gear-is normal.