Getting ready for the 2010 fishing season

dtrman1318

Cadet
I am brand new to the wonderful world of boating and i recently bought a used boat off of craigslist. I was able to but a little jon boat with a 25HP Johnson electric start tiller outboard. I believe the engine is a 1990 ish model and I was wondering what all of the necessary maintenance steps were to ensure the engine is ready to go and running strong. I would like to know what I should replace and check and also where I should grease the engine. Please help and be as specific as possible since I do not know much about boat engines yet.Thanks

Dan

dtrman1318

Cadet
Re: Getting ready for the 2010 fishing season

the model number for my engine is J25TECEM

5150abf

Vice Admiral

there really isn't much to do, I would change the impeller and plugs and lower unit oil and see how she runs, a decarb wouldn't hurt either if it has been sitting for any length of time with gas in the carbs you may need to clean them but none of that is really too hard, all you need are basic tools and I would suggest a factory manual.
The manuals are a little pricey but the first time you use it it becomes worth the money, they really do ,make any job alot easier.

You want to steer clear of Chiltons, Seloc, they cover alot of engines with no detail on a specific one where a factory manual cover only your engine, they can be had here at iboats or on Ebay.

Get some good muffs

dtrman1318

Cadet

Thank you. very helpful. this is an old engine, but she has been running strong every year for quite a while. It has only been sitting this winter, or about 5-6 months. I think it just needs basic every year maintenance kind of stuff

Dan