johnson 110 miss fire

power cat 1959

Recruit
Hi guys, I have read many of these and got helpful tips, but none like this. I'm not stupid but this one makes me feel like such :eek:
OK, while at idle it farts, pull top left wire smooths out. Replace and remove top right smooths out. I switched top to bottom coils stayed same. Oh first I replaced stator (used), was not charging and was cracked and bubbly, it then charged. (I have a parts motor 1982 90hp) Subject motor is 1986 110..
Also changed regulator. I also unhooked it just to eliminate that possibility.
Changed trigger also, stayed the same. Compression is pretty equal @ 120, reeds look good. Tried plug gaps @ 30-35 & 40.
So, seems to me about the only thing that really makes the top and bottom is the trigger, side to side would be power pack, and missing every where would be regulator. All grounds have been cleaned, spark will jump a mile, new plug wires, Fly wheel looks great, (motor only has 250 hours original, give me a worn out motor any day) So fly wheel change is next.

So there you have it guys, I'm thinking it's something small and stupid, but if I fix it would make my day. Plus the sooner I get it out of my hair, sooner I get to start on my Cat.
A big thanks up front,,:)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 110 miss fire

Which model 110 as some had the single pack and others had dual packs?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Double check the flywheel key to make sure it is not fractured, affecting the timing. You should be able to tell by checking the timing on #1, #2 with a timing light on the flywheel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when looking from the back of the motor #1 is the top right cylinder, #2 is the top left.

power cat 1959

Recruit

Motor is 1986 110 vro which is disconected and has 2 power packs.
Flywheel looks great, magnets are tight, no rubbing, timing slots are clean, key looks fine even when I put on my 3 power super glasses, I have a good impact gun so it does get tight.

I know it's hard to explain everything clearly with out seeing said subject.
What got my attention is, it would miss every one or two seconds, a little stutter. When I pulled #1 it was all better, when I would pull # 2 it was better. If I pulled both same time it would of course would struggle but kept running.
If I do the same test on 3 & 4, it just acts like a plug wire feel off.
So what gets me is the issue is on 1&2, it seems to only have enough power to run one, but it does have seperate packs and the only common is the trigger and fly wheel I guess.
So Thanks for the replies, as you can see I have a real brain teaser.:cool:

Things I do know,
BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand
+ Nothing Works On An Old Boat Except It Owner
Thanks Guys we shall see what ahppens today??

Attachments

• 27748195V.jpg
    27748195V.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Plug wires on the correct cylinders ???

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just for giggles swap the charge coil wires feeding the packs(brn & brn/yel).

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I'd get the correct peak-reading voltmeter and double check the the stator voltage output on the replacement stator you put on. Sometimes weak/low stator output can be the cause of intermittent/random misfires between coils.