• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Replacing melted piston 91 Evinrude 150 XP

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing melted piston 91 Evinrude 150 XP

I recently purchased a 92 Nitro 180 that has a 1991 Evinrude 150 XP. Performed a compression check and the bottom left cylinder was at 70 (Bottom Left looking from the back of the boat to the front) all others were 95-100. I pulled the head on that side and the piston head is melted. The head and cylinder walls look good. I see no other damage. Wondering if I have to pull the entire block to replace the piston or can I pull the carbs and reed box to R&R the piston with a new one? Engine Model Number: TE150SLEIE

Re: Replacing melted piston 91 Evinrude 150 XP

I'm gonna say yes , you need to pull the powerhead off and split the crankcase to get at the connecting rod, head will have to come off.
    sigpicSignature- If you have fuel and spark- Have you checked compression?

Comment

Also looking for a used regulator and stator for this motor or an entire motor for parts if the price is right.
      Part Numbers:
      Regulator: 0395204
      Stator: 0584292

Comment

When you have it apart, to replace the one piston-I'd re-ring the other 5 pistons. You should find out the reason for the failure or it will happen again on the new powerhead. Pull the carb apart that feeds that cylinder and check the jets on that side of the carb. May be debris in them causing a lean condition...

Comment

We started the boat before the purchase (water hose hookup while on the trailer). It started, idled and revved fine. Two weeks later got a chance to drop it in the water for a test run and all it would do was putt around. Anything more than Idle under load and it would die. Pulled it back out pulled the cover and that's when I noticed the wires on the regulator were burned/melted. It didn't smell or look like it had just happened. The regulator looks like it actually caught on fire and burned the bottom of the stator. The guy I purchased the boat from said it ran fine last time he had it out but that was over a year ago. I need to replace the regulator and maybe the stator, clean all the carbs and since I have to pull the case to replace the piston I'll probably re-ring all 6 pistons. Should I look for another engine and part this one out or drop another $1,000 plus in and hope for the best?

Comment

Well, you may have learned something useful here. Running an outboard w/o load on the hose tells you nothing about it's condition, other than it will start and run. No way the motor "ran fine last time he had it out" in the condition you bought it. emdsapmgr has it right ... find the exact cause of the burned piston, or it will surely happen again. If you've never done a major rebuild before, get an OEM shop manual, which will explain exactly what you're in for, then decide whether you want to rebuild or get another motor.
            Jim

===============================
            I don't respond to Private Messages PM's that are motor questions.

For basic information on a wide range of topics, see Top Secret File
            Link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

OEM shop manual: outboardbooks.com or Ebay

Comment

Thanks for the help. I've got the manual on order as this will be my first outboard rebuild. I rebuilt a few car motors when I was younger but no outboards. Any gotcha's I need to look out for?

Comment

No overhead cams, timing chain/belts or valve trains to deal with.
                2 strokes are a lot simpler, you need to find a marine engine machine shop to do the piston/block fitting.
                Rebuilders around Boston charge $3K for 6 cylinder, complete rebuild and test run with guarentee, going diy will be a lot cheaper.
                If you rebuild it, you'll know exactly what you've got, you aren't going to find a motor that runs like new for that money.
                sigpic
                See FAQ Files.
                http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Get the genuine factory service manual.
                www.outboardbooks.com
                www.*****************

Comment

Before you tear into it find out what caused the damaged piston. Otherwise you may be in for a repeat performance.

Comment

A factory service manual is almost a requirement on any rebuild. You can contact Ken Cook Co., in Milwaukee for the exact one you need.

Comment

I would think the carb was the problem but won't know till I dig into them.

I've got the factory service manual coming.

My game plan:
                      a. Replace bad pistion w/new pin
                      b. Hone all cylinders
                      c. Replace rings on all pistions
                      d. Replace Reg/Rect
                      e. Clean Carbs (Repair if needed)
                      f. Replace spark plugs
                      g. Test Stator (Replace if defective)

I'm I missing anything?

Thanks...

Comment

Check your crank and bearing conditions as well as measurements. You will need a full gasket kit as well and while its apart you may as well do the thermostats.
                        sigpicSignature- If you have fuel and spark- Have you checked compression?

Comment

how long or how high did you rev up the motor on the hose? that could have got it hot and caused the problem, did that myself to a 135hp Johnson a long time ago didn't know then that you wasn't suppose to go wide open throdle while on muff's. Learned my lesson the hard way broke a ring and beat up the piston

Comment

When you overhaul the carbs, use an aerosol carb cleaner. Blow out the passages with it and check the spray out of the exit orfice from each passage. Compare the spray from one carb passage with the spray flow from the same passage on the other carbs. It's not unusual for dried fuel to clog or reduce the passage diameter, causing lean running conditions. Pull all the jets and visually inspect them.

Comment

When we ran it on the trailer we didn't rev it that much just a little. No telling what he had done previously showing it to other prospective buyers. I want to thank everyone for their helpfull input. I will update this thread with my results as they progress.

Thanks...
                              TheStinkMan

Comment

Working...
                              X