Repowering

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm re-powering my 19' Reinell cuddy cabin from a 4.3L OMC Cobra to an outboard. I've owned Johnson/Evinrude in the pass so I'd like to stick with this brand. I'm thinking 150 hp mounted on a jack plate...that is after I plug the hole up :p. Main purpose of the boat is to get from point "A" to point "B" to fish...not intending to pull a skier or tube. Your thoughts on the HP?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repowering

You will be going from 175HP to 150HP so you may notice some loss in top end depending on the propeller you choose.

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And again you may not since you will be losing about 500 pounds of weight in the switch.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

And again you may not since you will be losing about 500 pounds of weight in the switch.

I thought about that too. As a matter of fact, I thought of adding an offshore bracket with platform and mount a 150hp on it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A 4.3L Sterndrive is about 1100#, and 170-205HP. That 150 Johnny is < 500#. I would think performance will be pretty close, although fuel and oil cost for the OB will jump and necessary maintenance cost will be down a bunch from the I/O.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Play around with the Search function as there are quite a few posts on going from an inboard or I/O to outboard. Most folk who have done it were not pleased with the results due to the change in weight, center of gravity and resulting handling.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Play around with the Search function..

Yes, I've done that on this forum as well as others. Pros and cons but in my case, it's more cost effective to convert over to an outboard.

Now a hunt for a Gil Bracket ;)

jonesg

Admiral

Craigslist for brackets.
I think they use 30 inch leg on the outboards when using a bracket.
The guys on the seacraft board have figured the geometry out, they have great results. I'd say if someone doesn't like the way it handles , they plain did it wrong. Strick built his own bracket from glass and wood, use MDF to make a basic mold.
http://www.classicseacraft.com/foru...7&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=13&vc=1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Play around with the Search function as there are quite a few posts on going from an inboard or I/O to outboard. Most folk who have done it were not pleased with the results due to the change in weight, center of gravity and resulting handling.

Actually, he'll find a bunch of posts saying this same thing but little actual experience from anyone. I'm not trying to be disagreeable but I wish we had more real world comments from people who have done this conversion.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

..I wish we had more real world comments from people who have done this conversion.

A fellow forum member in a local forum did a conversion on his 21' cruiser. He wrote that no porpoising experience and that the 175hp pushed his boat right along out on the Ocean. He's 100% satisfied.

In my case, this recently bought boat took on water on the maiden voyage so I took it to a shop where they did a "hammer" check on the transom. I was told that I had rot which caused the water leak. I decided to pull the the 4.3L OMC Cobra out and discovered that it was the seal that was bad and that the transom is solid as a rock.
With the motor and out drive out, it was a perfect opportunity to do the conversion and gain more fishing deck.

Thanks to all for your replies