Johnson 9.9 Sailmaster Seahorse

Lolly

Cadet
Hello
I just bought a used Jon Boat and it came with two motors a trolling motor minn kota and a Johnson 9.9 Sailmaster Seahorse. These are the numbers on the plate of the Johnson E6048059 and J10SEICOM. Can anyone guide me to where I can find out the year. I can't seem to locate it.

Lolly

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson 9.9 Sailmaster Seahorse

J10SELCOM and its an 85, SEL is a Sailmaster. Make sure transom height doesnt play a part, a Sailmaster is an extra long shaft unless its been converted, I suspect a sail shaft is way too long for a jon boat.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I think you will find the Sail versions have several differences from the standard versions.

I think you will find it has a higher positioned exhaust outlet and a second AV plate. The object being that the prop can be more deeply immersed on a sail boat than is normal, without creating extra back pressure. (In effect an extra long shaft can mounted as though it were an ordinary long shaft thereby putting the prop 5" deeper )

It may also have a different prop to the standard version, being intended for a slow moving displacement hull.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I think you will find the Sail versions have several differences from the standard versions.

I think you will find it has a higher positioned exhaust outlet and a second AV plate. The object being that the prop can be more deeply immersed on a sail boat than is normal, without creating extra back pressure. (In effect an extra long shaft can mounted as though it were an ordinary long shaft thereby putting the prop 5" deeper )

It may also have a different prop to the standard version, being intended for a slow moving displacement hull.

The exhaust and throttle setup also allows full power in reverse. Not exactly desirous on a jon boat.

As said, it is a special motor for use as a sailboat auxillary. Yeah, of course it will push you jon boat but with many drawbacks. You will hate it.

Lolly

Cadet

I said I had a Jon boat . I was wrong It's a 1968 aluminum v-Hull 14ft Aerocraft Is it still no good.

Lolly

Cadet

Hi Captain. Thanks for that info. I didn't know that can be done. Once again I am totally new to this world of boating. I am a city girl. I guess I can take it to a shop and have it done. Do you think it cost a lot?
:rolleyes:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yes it will cost alot but if you do it yourself it won't, it will be the driveshaft that will be expensive. Find a used shaft and the rest of the parts and take it to a dealer and tell them what you want done, shouldn't be all that labour intensive, an hour and a half of labour should be enough to do the swap.

Lolly

Cadet

Hi Captain

Well I had a mechanic get it going and it's working now I need to find a drive shaft. What should I look for by way of drive shaft. Do I look for a johnson drive shaft or just any drive shaft . Does year matter. How would I word it johnson short shank drive shaft? Again please excuse my ignorance really appreciate the responses .

Thanks

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Look for a short shaft driveshaft called a standard shaft part # 0321455.

Lolly

Cadet

Hello Admiral,
Well I have been working on that 9.9 with my neighbor. He is an awsome guy and is helping me much. We have the engine apart removed the center of the shank and are now looking for a short drive shaft. Marine shop wants 172.00 for it and the junk yards don't have any left. Next step is we are going to go see if the welder can cut the one we have down tomorrow. Everything is really working well so far Any ideas where I might pick one up cheaper

Lolly

AlTn

Commander

mannnnn...he's proud of that housing....wow

Lolly

Cadet

Well Fellas
We did it! The welder cut it down and I now have a 9.9 evenrude seahorse in great working condition. It was so fun doing it my buddy actually got his hands on another 9.9 only it's already a short shaft not running. He has taught me quite a bit. With him and all of you thanks.