Can you add an Electronic Trolling Motor Control to a 2 cycle Johnson?

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1988 6hp Johnson J6RLCCS:

6hpJohnson.jpg

Here is what I would like to add (one of these anyway):

cabelaspic%20(2).jpg
Pro2.gif

http://www.controllking.com/
http://www.troll-masterpro.com/

Both of these models use an electronic servo similar to this to control the throttle:
IMGP2516a.jpg

The application guide for both models only lists 4 cycle motors (the one exception is for a 1988 or newer Mercury-Mariner 6, 8, 9.9 & 15). There is no application for a 1988 2 cycle 6hp Johnson.

The only way I can see to control the Johnson would be to connect it to the "Throttle Advance Lever" (as show by the arrow in the 1st photo).

Can this be done to work successfully? A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Will the servo from the Electronic Motor Control have enough force to move the "Throttle Advance Lever"? This arm also moves the Grip Assembly and the ignition advance assembly. I'm thinking that this would control the throttle and the advance at the same time.

2. Is there a better place for the servo to control the throttle/ignition advance?

3. I typically troll at 1/2 to 5/8 throttle and I can connect the servo directly to the lever that moves the butterfly on the carburetor. What happens though, when I'm at 1/2 throttle and the ignition advance is at 1/2 throttle and I close just the butterfly on the carburetor to idle? What will the effects be on having too much advance while at idle?

4. On my 6hp Johnson, the carburetor and ignition advance is controlled by a cable. What controls the ignition advance on a small 4 cycle outboard?

Any thoughts and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Is this even doable?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can you add an Electronic Trolling Motor Control to a 2 cycle Johnson?

my suggestion, is to contact the manufacturer, and discuss it with them. never seen or heard of the product.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

I expect you'll find that the units will not have enough power to operate the ignition advance system on your Johnson.

I'ts probably only suitable for engines where the throttle control only operates the carb butterfly.

One requires a fair bit of force to operate it the other next to none.

Just my thoughts.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Spark advance is controlled electronically by the ECM on four strokes. The butterflies and spark advance on a two stroke must be synchronized for proper engine operation. Two strokes don't idle well on carburetor alone so spark advance is retarded to allow smooth idle. The engine would idle way too fast if you have the carb at low throttle with 1/2 spark advance. I doubt the servo has the power to move the linkage AND the twist throttle.

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I had tried disconnecting the cable between the grip handle and the "Throttle Advance Lever" last night just to see how much force it would take to move the throttle/spark advance and it seemed like a lot was needed..........probably a lot more than the servo was capable of moving.

Guess I'll have to wait for my 2 cycle trolling motor to die before even thinking about adding a Electronic Trolling Motor Control.

Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used 4 cycle long shaft 6hp Johnson. Which leads me to another question. When was the last year this motor was produced? And was it a good outboard?

Edit: found part of my answer. 2005 = J6RL4SOS

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this thread is old but wondering if anyone figured it out. I am planning on doing the same thing. I am using a servo that pulls 18in/lbs. in place of the units that come with the kit.

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked into this awhile ago, it seems that that stock electric servo motor doesn't have enough torque to operate a 2 stroke. I found some info (not sure if it was on this site) where someone installed the control king on a 2 stroke but put a higher torque motor in, I believe from radio shack. If I get some time later ill try to dig it up. What an honor to post in a thread with tashasdaddy, the man helped me learn a lot through this site. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here yet though. Ryan

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking about wiring up a controllking unit with larger servo. Here is the one I had in mind. I think it should be big enough. The one they come with are only 50oz/in and this one is 286oz/in. The only other problem is the amount of throw needed so I might need to get a bigger one than I linked to incorporate the length of the longer arm.

20kg Heavy 3S HV LiPo Digital Metal Servo Titanium Gear | eBay

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh wow, I think that would be up to the challenge, as long as it fits under the cowl. Would you wire up a reostat to control it? Keep me up to date. Interresting project.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This IS an old thread, Chas. Replying to it is forbidden unless you are the OP.

Please respect our rules and the BIG RED BANNER that told you not to reopen this.

Please start your own thread.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This IS an old thread, Chas. Replying to it is forbidden unless you are the OP.

Please respect our rules and the BIG RED BANNER that told you not to reopen this.

Please start your own thread.

I thought being a question to the original poster it was justified to post back on this.
I can start a new thread with a link to this old one if that is what is needed.

Most people when I start a new thread say to use the search option which I did in this instance. In the future I will be sure to start new threads.

Chas