7.5hp evinrude question?

gman223

Cadet
i have an evinrube 7.5hp model E8rcss i believe is a 1980. Does this motor have a water pump or is it air cooled? if so can i get the parts to rebuild the pump still? Also are these a decent motor? what kind of value am i looking at if this motor was mint?
newboat3.jpg

any info appreciated thanks

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 7.5hp evinrude question?

i have an evinrube 7.5hp model E8rcss i believe is a 1980. Does this motor have a water pump or is it air cooled? if so can i get the parts to rebuild the pump still? Also are these a decent motor? what kind of value am i looking at if this motor was mint?
newboat3.jpg

any info appreciated thanks

Definetly has a pump and yes for sure you can get parts. Mint I suspect in the $5-800 range but that all depends on where you live and if its fresh water.

gman223

Cadet

If it's a 7.5hp, they were only made in 1982 and 1983. I just sold a Johnson 7.5 that same vintage last week. Here are some specs on that motor. This is for a Johnson, but it should still be the same specs as your Evinrude

http://www.boats.com/engines/engine...3+781+4294957329&et=100&N=1783+781+4294957329

Most parts are still available, but I had to go to Seaway Marine for some things.:cool:

good to hear the cowl says 7.5 but the model number is E8rcss think that means 8HP and 1980 but i am not sure.. this is my first evinrude so thanks for the help

gman223

Cadet

where will the pee stream come out when it starts to pump???

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Interesting. It does come up as a 1980. I was told by a dealor that those 7.5's were only made in 1982 and 1983. Looks like they were wrong.

Under the cowl, you should finda hose going from the engine and to the rear of the lower cowl. If you're not getting a stream of water, I would check and see if there is a clog in that hose or outlet.

I was also told that there was a grommet in the watertube that has been known to colapse too.:cool:

gman223

Cadet

yeah i found it thanks.. i am having a hard time finding info on this motor i need a new impeller but cant find parts for a 1980 7.5hp

kster

Cadet

Hey there, I have had a 1981 Johnson 7.5HP for couple/few seasons now, it's basiclly the same as your Rude there. Yours looks like about the same condition from what I can see. I'd say you would have no problem getting over $300 and maybe up to $600 on ebay this time of year if it's never felt saltwater and in Great Condition. I had a story posted here about my 7.5 when I first bought it (1981 7.5HP Johnson seahorse overheating). It overheated and scorched the cylinders a little. They say compression should be over 80PSI and within five of each other, some have said it should even be closer to 100PSI but what I'm trying to say is I believe mine are scorched and are down to 60 in one and 65PSI in the other and after I cleaned & replaced the waterpump and thermostat this motor still starts, runs, and has run hard for many hours. It pushes my 12 ft. flat bottom Jonboat up on plane and goes about 17-18MPH fully loaded. Goes a long way with 3 gallons of good fuel. You won't find much negitive feedback about your Evinrude, they have always been a leader in the industry! Hope you got it going and have fun with it. --Kster

Chris Nidds

Cadet

Hi
I have a evinrude e8rcss 1980

She wont start at all I have tried for hours to get her to go but not even a glimmer of hope

any help would be much welcome

I have tried changing plugs including checking spark from both coils no issue there.

I then tried checking to see if the key was damaged but that looked fine because If I am correct that alters timing if its worn

I then tried using instant starting fluid to see if I could even get just a glimmer of ignition no luck there as well

I put fuel straight down the throat no go again

any help would be much appriated

Please Help Thanks
Chris