Evinrude or Johnson motor identification

merlion497

Cadet
Hey we have had this motor for a couple years and we have always believed it was a 40hp Evinrude. All of the repairs ect were basic so never really needed to know the year or anything. Well its hurting now and I want to get the manual for it and rehaul it. Problem is, I am not certain it is even a 40hp evinrude, some friends have mentioned that it was maybe a 55hp, and the year of this motor is beyond me. There is no nameplate. Anyone able to look at these pictures I took of it from various angles so we can get an idea of what manuel/parts to buy? Thanks alot for your help.
http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/kyle497/
P.S. There is a fuzzy picture in the album of what could appear to you to be a nameplate, its just a reflective sticker with emision imformation and such. It is located on the ouside of the lower unit, near where the transom clamps are. Also Don't laugh at my motor :)

merlion497

Cadet
Re: Evinrude or Johnson motor identification

Ah bummer, thanks alot for looking at the pictures and giving it a shot Tashasdaddy.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

You know, it looks like a loop-charged twin which puts it into the 1971-75 50-horse & 1976+ 55-horse catagory. It also has a pull start on top, which steers me into the later Commercial 55-horse. In 1976 the 50 twin was enlarged to 55-horses, then it soon made its way to 60 horses. Around that time a detuned 60 with a manual starter, the 55 Commercial, was introduced. This is before the rating system was revised in the mid-80s. Green on the powerhead, midsection & lower unit also suggest a late 1970s & early 1980s commercial Johnson.

Thats my guess.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I hate to be a complainer, but why on earth do you take pictures at 90 degrees!!!!

no one would even want to try and look at pictures like that!!!!

there are several places were you might find the model number..one if old enough was the side of the clamp bracket, the other if newer, would be on the rear of the clamp bracket below were the motor head pivots on the clamp bracket...sometimes it is a riveted tag, later on they used glued on printed lables...that the lettering can wash away with certain chemicals.

sometimes a welch plug can have the model number

I have a 1988 johnson 48 sepcial that has a welch plug that has the complete model number stamped on it...right on top in easy view..

I also have a 1980 or 81 50 hp and they both have the same shape cover, but they are way different than yours!!!!! yours is a LOT HIGHER!!

I dont know much about the 55 hp models...i guess they were older.

good luck

bob

merlion497

Cadet

Thanks TN-25, you helped alot. And bob, thanks for taking a look, even if you got a neck ache from it. I did a couple verticle photos to get the motor to fit in the picture frame while still remaining up close enough for you kind people to help identify it.
There is definatly no model number on this motor. I dug it out of a junkyard in mexico, and was pleasently surprised to find that it had compression! It has been my main motor since.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'd say that its a late 80s 40 or 45 hp johnson or evinrude. I don't think its 70s vintage.

Clues are ignition parts, black powerhead and other parts under the cowl, the cowl shape and the recoil starter shape.

Since you have the serial number imprinted in the welch plug on the pwoerhead, your local dealer should be able to tell you exactly what it is.

???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I did some research on the serial number (5033231) but came up empty handed.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

The square piece on top of the cyl head? Is the termostat. Indicatave of 1989 and later? Also flywheel looks like 89 or later. Earlier models of this engine thermostat was locatated at the bottom of head.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

1997 or 1998 rope start 40HP.

merlion497

Cadet

Alright. I need to give you all some more clues. I will post tomorrow with every # on the motor, also i'm going to weigh it. I noticed a few people noticed that the fly wheel looks newer. My boat sank last year with the motor on it and while i was able to salvage the motor, the fly wheel got so stiff that i just tossed on one that i had laying around. Sorry I forgot to mention it before.
Thanks everyone so much, i apprieciate all the help and if your ever in mexico hit me up and we will go fishing.
Oh and ya, thats sand. This motor has been to hell and back but she always manages to end back on her feet.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not sure about this so if anyone knows for sure please correct me. I think if you can get the numbers off of the freeze plugs you can get the year model. Again I am not sure but I did do it one time with an olg rude I had without the number tag on it . Hope this helps.

merlion497

Cadet

OK. I took down every # i could find on the motor and translated that fuzzy emission control sticker as well. I created a new album to view the motor with the #'s clearly written with arrows to where they are. ( i even rotated the images that were at 90 degrees in the new album bob johnson hehe)

http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/kyle497/updatedoutboard/

I'm also going to list the #'s in this post, however everything I learned about outboards,(not much mind you), was in Mexico. So I don't know half of the names of the parts on the motor that the #'s are located on in english, but will try my best to describe their location. The photobucket album will be very helpful if I am making no sense and using all the wrong terms.

"187422 02D1C1
996 " This # is located on the engine block to the
right of the throttle cams

"330705" This # is located on the plastic shifter bit.
You know, the piece that with the hood removed
tells you if your in forward, nuetral, or reverse.

"343141" This # is on the little square bit on the back top of the
motor that an earlier poster indicated was the thermostat

"5033231" This # is on that freeze plug or welch plug. Its about the
diameter of a quarter located on the top of the motor.

"326175 D1" This # is located on the transom mounting bracket, on
the inner side.

"340101" This is stamped onto the motor about 2-3 inches below
the bottommost spark plug

"OMC
582508 21DX-0A" This is a hard one for me. Ok so you go from the spark
plugs, down the spark plug wires, and it connects on this
plastic thing. Written on the back of that plastic thing is
this #. In the photos the part i'm trying to describe is in
a black plastic casing, im guess to prevent water and
stuff from making it arc.

"350783" This is written on the outside of the motor, not on the
transom mounting bracket but on the lower case where
the aforementioned brackets would rest if your motor
was fully down.

"332401 D2" This # is written on the engine block, right behind the
throttle cams.

The following information is on the emission control info sticker located near the transom brackets. I left out the information on the sticker that will not help identify it.

Engine family- 3BCXM0045211
Spark Plugs- QL16V
Engine Displacement- 737 cc
Dil- TC-W3
Fel- 216.00 G/KW-HR

I didn't get a chance to weigh the motor. This is one heavy girl so I have to wait for help to get it in the truck and take it to the junkyard to weigh.

merlion497

Cadet

accidental double post of the above information.

Last edited:

merlion497

Cadet

Anyone got any ideas? The range of what i have so far is too big, anywhere from 1970-1990's ?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Since it has the EPA emission sticker on the brackets, that means it is newer than 1998.