evinrude pt&t bleeding question

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok, I know that the bleeding down question has been asked a hundred times, so I'll go right to my problem.

I found out that my power trim bleeds down on my 1975 evinrude hustler 75hp, and so I came to these lovely forums and started my trip to hell and back. I started with the check and shutter valves, seeing how that was the most common suggestion, and put new o-rings on the check valves as well as the shutter valve.........still bleeds down.

So then i went to the pistons, and found that the piston o-rings were in terrible shape. I ordered a rebuild kit from evinrude and redid both pistons on my system. I know that the pistons are good now because I tested them.......STILL BLEEDS DOWN!!!!

I'm lost now. I'm thinking it might be in the pressure relief valve. I think that the o-ring might be bad, so I replaced it. Still have the same problem. I'm looking at this diagram of the power tilt and trim that is commonly floating around this forum, and I can't see where else it might be. I pull the top line off the cylinder and I let the system down and it comes out the hose, not the cylinder, so I know the pistons are good and the culprit is somewhere in the valve body. Could the check valves just be worn out and the springs aren't enough to hold it up anymore, or is it somewhere else. Please help me because I just don't know what to do next.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude pt&t bleeding question

Prestolite or Calco pump?

jherlyn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: evinrude pt&t bleeding question

sorry, it's a calco pump. Now somebody was telling me today that that pressure relief valve is designed for oil to flow through it and not just so that it plugs a hole, is that true.