EVINRUDE FICHT 175 HP / 2002 - "NO OIL" ALARM - Please Help !

Thifruck

Recruit
I am new in that forum, but i am alwyas reading the posts. I am from Brazil ( Rio de Janeiro ) and here we have a great problem with Evinrude maintenance. Only one person is authorized by Evinrude to repair the motors, and him is having problems.

My motor is an Evinrude FICHT RAM 175 hp / 2002 with 350 hrs. When the engine starts, a lot of white smoke starts to get out the discharge and the propeller, but the rotation ( RPM ) and the motor frequency appears to be normal. In other words, i can tell that he engine appears to be functioning good. The only visible problem in 800 / 1000 rpm is the white smoke. When i accelerate, a great quantity of white and dense smoke get out the engine, but it is A LOT OF DENSE SMOKE.

if I keep the rotation at 2500/3000 rpm, the smoke still to get out and the "NO OIL" alarm starts to beep. Immediately the engine goes to the slow mode to protect the parts. The alarm is on until i turn off the engine. In that time, if i turn on the engine again, the same think described above happens again. After 5 minutes, with the boat out of the water, a great quantity of black oil begins to drip from the propeller and a pool is formed on the floor. It is a very viscous and black oil.

The mechanical had a problem with the computer and could not see the error code yet.The mechanical had a problem with the computer ( fell in the water ) and could not see the error code yet. He disconnected the oil injector sensor and the smoke continued to emerge at the same mode. With this sensor still disconnected, he dropped some hoses of the oil manifold ( there are six ) and we could see that the oil flowed good. Te oil return ( in the tank ) is good and with pressure. Looking at the gauges, the oil pressure is also normal. The Relays and the fuses on the power distribution are good and tested.

The mechanical said that the problem is probably the oil injector ( P/N 5004920 ) and he will test a new part in this next saturday.

The price of this part here in Brazil is about U$1.861,00 , and i am guessing that it is not the problem. Some one can help me ?

Thank you by the patience.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: EVINRUDE FICHT 175 HP / 2002 - "NO OIL" ALARM - Please Help !

The problem could be as simple as a bad oil pressure sensor. From the oil injector trace the sensor wire to the 2 pin connector. Remove it and inspect for oil in the connector. If so, then the sensor is leaking and the oil is shorting out the pins, giving you a false NO OIL alarm.

I don't know about the dealers in Rio, but you may want to contact Jorge or Ricardo at Paragon Marine in Angra dos Reis. They are the best around and located at the marina in Pirata Mall.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the motor is throwing a code, it needs to be read. I wouldn't drop money on parts without knowing what it needs for sure first.

Also I'm not completely convinced it's the low oil alarm going off, but an alarm.

You could have a compound problem, such as the engine being in break in mode causing all the smoke, and an alarm going off from a different area of the motor.

Bottom line is I don't think you are going to be able to diagnose it correctly without a code reader. If your mechanic isn't going to buy another computer, you need to find another shop that has one.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Like seahorse said check the oil pressure switch and oil pressure at the pump as it should be 7-20 psi. A bad oil injector pump can trigger the fault you are recieving and if it is stuck open it will smoke very badly.Also check the oil return line for crimp or pinch as this will make excessive pressure in system causing excessive oiling.

Thifruck

Recruit

Like seahorse said check the oil pressure switch and oil pressure at the pump as it should be 7-20 psi. A bad oil injector pump can trigger the fault you are recieving and if it is stuck open it will smoke very badly.Also check the oil return line for crimp or pinch as this will make excessive pressure in system causing excessive oiling.

Dears,

The oil pressure sensor had already been replaced and the problem continued. The gauges is showing a pressure about 7 - 15 psi ( normal ). According to the Mechanical, the oil return is also ok.

There are some procedure that i can read the error code without a computer ( By the Check Eng light for exemple ? ). I guess that the mechanical will bring a new computer in this saturday, and i will put the code error here.

Thifruck

Recruit

Dears,

The problem was the oil pump. It was substituted and the engine worked perfect.

Thank you for your help.