Broken steering bracket on Evinrude 9.9 - Help!

markov

Cadet
I have a 9.9 Evinrude 1982 model E10RCNS.
The steering bracket has been damaged (part no: 0325166) and the left bush has been fractured with two small pieces coming away - allowing the tilt bolt and clamp assembly to swing away on the left.
Is it possible to weld this area or I am dreaming? I know very little about engine mechanics or welding - but I would obviously prefer this option over replacing the whole bracket - as i suspect this would not be easy? Even more of a pipe dream - could I use something like JBWeld! If I do need to replace the whole bracket (if I can get a new bracket) - is the replacement going to be hard - maybe too complex for a newbie like me. Are there any descriptions of such a process anywhere on these forums (I have had a search but not found anything yet.)

I can upload an image if necessary.

Any help or advice appreciated.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Broken steering bracket on Evinrude 9.9 - Help!

2 choices, replace the part or take the motor to a welder, without a pic of the damage it's too hard to tell.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

It'll be quite a complicated job to remove and replace it. Not made any simpler by the fact that the shift rod runs through the middle of it!

Broken where you say though is a pretty highly stressed area so although it may be possible to get it welded you would have to be sure that it was done by a very competent welder.

Personally I am not sure I would trust JB weld, excellent though it may be

If you do give it a try then degrease the surfaces with acetone and be sure you can clamp them together firmly while it cures. You dont want any gaps, you want the broken surfaces pressed really tightly together and held while it cures.

Trouble is that if the joint fails then the other side might break also.

Dont know if you have the parts diagram. Its HERE if you dont

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, a pic would be great. I have an old 18 that has the steering bracket pilot shaft broke and there is no way I would have anyone try and weld that.
Odd how stuff like that breaks.:cool:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It'll be quite a complicated job to remove and replace it.

It's not that hard actually, the entire motor has to come apart but these 9.9's are so simple to take apart it can be done in a couple of hours. Lower, powerhead, midsection all have to come off then you replace the bracket. While it's apart it's a good opportunity to replace seals and gaskets that may have worn away.

markov

Cadet

Hi there,
Thanks for all the replies.
1946Zephyr - not so odd when you are an idiot like me! I was nipping down to the boat launch for an evening fish - and thought I heard a noise as I pulled up at the launch. Somehow the left clamp had come free and had obviously fractured the bracket. I am a newbie and although I always tied the motor down as hard as I could in the tilted position - it still bounced somewhat. Is there any way to prevent this? I figure the potholes and rough road on the way bounced the engine clamp off even though I always tighten it before I move the boat and trailer.

SO now I have no more fishing until I sort this out. I have attached a picture - it shows the fractured bracket and two small pieces. Too small to weld perhaps?
What a pain - summer in Oz is slipping away and so are the fish!

Attachments

• 9.9.jpg
    9.9.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have several of these motors and from looks of things, I think you gotta replace the part. It's not hard nor time consuming and hopefully the bolts aren't rusted in place. There are tons of these motors, so finding the part shouldn't be too hard.

Not sure of your set-up, but possibly a transom saver might have helped. I have a racheted web strap holding my motor in place.

markov

Cadet

Thanks Mchin,
I actually used a ratchet web strap too - but I could never get it quite tight enough to stop all movement. I was worried about putting too much pressure on the motor clamp assembly.
Anyway - more to the point - if I had to replace the bracket - can you give me a very brief rundown of what i might need to do to access the bracket. I don't know if anyone has written this process up anywhere before - but any pointers to any articles would be gratefully accepted. And are there any specific bolts that tend to corrode and cause problems in dissassembly projects?
I take it the JBweld option gets a thumbs down all round?

Cheers

bktheking

Vice Admiral

1. Lower unit has to come off- 6 bolts at the lower unit, shift into reverse and the lower will drop giving you access to the shift linkage. Remove the bottom bolt completely. Now the lower unit will drop right out.

2. Power Head - remove starter (remove big bolt but keep it in the starter housing and move it to the side, find some way of keeping it together electrical tape will work) remove 3 bolts- top side of the powerhead, 6 bolts at the bottom, keep track of where the ground wires go. Remove the throttle linkage with the 2 through bolts that keep it attached to the powerhead. Fuel line needs to be disconnected at the quick connect. Disconnect wires going to the stop switch. The powerhead should now lift straight up and off.

3. Remove the lower cowl by lifting straight up. The shift rod will come with it.

4. At the bottom of the midsection there is a bracket with 2 long through bolts, remove them and the bracket will come off in 2 halves. Watch you don't lose the rubbers, you'll know what I'm talking about when you remove them.

5. Looking from the top where the powerhead sat there are 2 through bolts that you need to remove , they go through rubber mounts. Once these bolts are off the midsection comes off. You will now have access to the bracket you need to replace.Remove 3 bolts that hold the steering bracket in place. You will also need to remove the transom clamps, long through bolt that is where your bracket broke.

Easiest to find a used assembly, that way you don't need to swap the tube and bushings and all that over.

While you have the powerhead off, remove the 3 bolts holding what looks like a snout attached the powerhead. This snout called the crankcase head has a seal in it, check it to make sure it is still good. I pulled mine the other day and it was toast. If it is fine reinstall it. This seal keeps water away from the bottom crank bearing.

markov

Cadet

Thanks bktheking,
An absolutely clear post - with great attention to detail - your effort is appreciated. This forum amazes me at how buoyant, active and friendly so many members seem to be. For a newbie, it makes me much more confidant of getting stuck into working on the motor. If I go ahead and have it apart - is there anything else you'd recommend I should inspect and renew?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, BK is a great guy. I have a few cold ones in the fridge with his name on them.:D:D:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yep, BK is a great guy. I have a few cold ones in the fridge with his name on them.:D:D:D

Thanks Zeph for the props, notice you broke 1000, congrats. I have cold ones for too you whenever you make it over LOL.

As for that bracket, I know a guy in with 9.9 parts motors who probably has that bracket, want me to find out?

As for things to look for- top of the water pump is a rubber grommet, they fold and get distorted over time, check it when you have lower off.

There is also a rubber grommet for the water tube where it goes into the exhaust housing, 4 bolts remove the exhaust tube and you will find the grommet, sometimes they also distort and can mess up water flow big time. If you do happen to replace this grommet pay close attention on its orientation, the tube can go back in and point in different directions, it's tres important.

Last but not least, there is a rubber gasket on the 9.9 at the bottom of the exhaust tube where it sits against the midsection, they either break or are missing all together.

Order yourself a powerhead to midsection gasket as well, you'll need it to reassemble the motor.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Holy shi* I did, didn't I. Between your cold ones and mine, we'll have a rip roarin' time':D:D

When you put the stuff all back together, you want to apply a heavy coat of oil to all the rubber components so everything goes together easy without folding things over and such.

May as well get a new impeller while you have it apart.:cool: