Rigging Johnson 88 SPL Shift Problems

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am rigging a 1996 88 SPL and I am having an issue with the control cables.

The range of motion is too great on the shift cable. The gears are binding in forward and reverse. If I move the shift arm manually, the gears feel fine. When I connect the cable and use the binnacle, it pushes the arm too far in either direction. These are older controls that were used with a 1995 Evinrude. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rigging Johnson 88 SPL Shift Problems

there was a wiring harness change on the 1996 motors. sounds as if you have your cables mount in the wrong connections, on the universal binnacle. there are several mounting point on those controls. also could have throttle and shift cables crossed.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

there was a wiring harness change on the 1996 motors. sounds as if you have your cables mount in the wrong connections, on the universal binnacle. there are several mounting point on those controls. also could have throttle and shift cables crossed.

Thanks tashadaddy,

I have ordered the wiring harness adapter kit. I have not take the binnacle apart yet. Maybe there are other mounting holes for the cables. DJ

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I took apart my black binical control and found that there are two holes to choose from on each arm. One arm is for the shifting and the other is for throttle.

I am not sure why there are two....I cant remembe right now if they were side by side choices..or one higher than the other choices.

BUT

if there are one hole above the other choices, the your amount of travel is changing!!!!!

and that might be your issue..

when you do set up the control the first cable to move when you move the throttle lever...goes to your SHIFT connection on the motor...

remember that!!!

getting the cables in their spots on the arms was a kinda of a pain..the twist the cables want to do always caused me grief..

of course it was the only time I had ever done it.

good luck

bob

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took apart my black binical control and found that there are two holes to choose from on each arm. One arm is for the shifting and the other is for throttle.

I am not sure why there are two....I cant remembe right now if they were side by side choices..or one higher than the other choices.

BUT

if there are one hole above the other choices, the your amount of travel is changing!!!!!

and that might be your issue..

when you do set up the control the first cable to move when you move the throttle lever...goes to your SHIFT connection on the motor...

remember that!!!

getting the cables in their spots on the arms was a kinda of a pain..the twist the cables want to do always caused me grief..

of course it was the only time I had ever done it.

good luck

bob

Thanks Bob, I also have a black binnacle. When I take it apart, I'm hoping to find another set of holes on each control arm. I need a cable hole, in the shift arm, that will shorten the travel. DJ

tashasdaddy

remove the screws around the black cover, then the screws on the base, pull controller out.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pulled the binnacle this weekend, and there were no optional mounting holes for the shift lever.

If anyone knows of a kit that updates a pre-'96 OMC binnacle, I would like to know.
Thanks, DJ

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Pulled the binnacle this weekend, and there were no optional mounting holes for the shift lever.

If anyone knows of a kit that updates a pre-'96 OMC binnacle, I would like to know.
Thanks, DJ

I looked at an exploded diagram of the control. the plate that the cables attach to was used from 1992-2009!!!

when i read that the plate also is used with dual lever controls, i think i realized then the two different choices would not change the stroke...because they are in a straight line with the cable..so the THROW is the same...just the starting and ending location is different...NOT really what you need..

the extra spots maybe just for the second motor!!!

sorry for the confusion

i57yxj.png

I had been thinking because the lever tilts, that the connection was doing the same...but it doesnt...its movement is inline with the cable

bob

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked at an exploded diagram of the control. the plate that the cables attach to was used from 1992-2009!!!

when i read that the plate also is used with dual lever controls, i think i realized then the two different choices would not change the stroke...because they are in a straight line with the cable..so the THROW is the same...just the starting and ending location is different...NOT really what you need..

the extra spots maybe just for the second motor!!!

sorry for the confusion

i57yxj.png

I had been thinking because the lever tilts, that the connection was doing the same...but it doesnt...its movement is inline with the cable

bob

Not a problem Bob. I'm going to a marine dealership, at lunch today, and I will ask if they have encountered this issue.

I have another problem at the moment. Working on the engine this weekend, I discovered that one of the head gaskets is blown. Note the left head with black exhaust residue in the water passages. Engine was overheating. :(

Attachments

• heads_600x450.jpg
    heads_600x450.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

yes, gasket blew into the water jacket, if water had been getting into cylinder, the cylinder and piston would look steam cleaned. new gaskets, and torque the bolts.