• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

key switch wiring for 96 evenrude

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key switch wiring for 96 evenrude

Ive got a 96 evinrude 88 hp. my kids lost the key to the boat so im replacing the key switch. i got the right one but the hook ups are in a different place. the guy that was putting it on for me couldnt figure it out so he gave it back with all the wires unhooked. it has the push in choke its got 5 flat hookups and 1 round hook up i need to no what color wire goes to what letter on the switch if u can help it would greatly be appreciated

Re: key switch wiring for 96 evenrude

Check here for seahorse's post-1995 diagram: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...itchwiring.jpg

Bill Kelly's pre-1996 diagram is here: http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc...REMCONTBOX.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cletus83 View Post
      Ive got a 96 evinrude 88 hp. my kids lost the key to the boat so im replacing the key switch. i got the right one but the hook ups are in a different place. the guy that was putting it on for me couldnt figure it out so he gave it back with all the wires unhooked. it has the push in choke its got 5 flat hookups and 1 round hook up i need to no what color wire goes to what letter on the switch if u can help it would greatly be appreciated
      doesnt make sense that you got "the right one" but it is different!!!

but you have been offered both standard possible combos, since we dont know what year your control is..

which is probably more important than what year the motor is...

good luck

if you still cant get anywhere..i have a post 95 black Bimini control i could check....

good luck

bob

bob

Comment

here
        Attached Files
        FLORIDA GATORS
        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

the old switch has A M B M S C the new switch has I M B M S C i hooked everything up like it said but since i dint have an A i put the A on the I it didnt work the purple wire thats A is 2 wires together that runs to the warning horn. the I stands for ignition i dont think it goes there does it? i got a purple a purple w white strip a yellow with red stripe a red a black and a black with yellow stripe the purple is 2 wires in 1 the black w yellow is 2 wires in 1 that has a rubber boot on it like a sprk plug the red is a bigger guage than all of them here is the switch part number i ordered it came from ************************** it has a wiring diagram with it but its not matching my old one if yall can help id appreciate it if nothing else can u get a key for the old switch and i just put it back on? SIE-MP39760
          IGNITION SWITCH PUSH CHOKE
          Last edited by cletus83; February 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM. Reason: made a mistake on where the wire went

Comment

Originally posted by bob johnson View Post
            doesnt make sense that you got "the right one" but it is different!!!

but you have been offered both standard possible combos, since we dont know what year your control is..

which is probably more important than what year the motor is...

good luck

if you still cant get anywhere..i have a post 95 black Bimini control i could check....

good luck

bob

bob
            I dont know what kind mine is all i can tell u is it mounts on the side of the boat has the key on it and the neutral throttle sticks up when pulled has a red tilt and trim switch if thats any help i dont know

Comment

No matter which switch it is, the contacts should be marked on the back of the switch with letters, and the color coding of the wires that connect to them would be the same, as in the diagrams.

The universal switch will have two posts marked with an M. The odd one is for the black kill wire with the yellow stripe.

Comment

well here are the pictures in a single post...seems like you might have the M's mixed up..and you are shorting your magneto...maybe

sounds like you have the older control box..with the dual wires for purple and blackw/yellow stripe

follow the pattern and match the colors

bob

Comment

If there is a number on the old ignition switch, you can get a replacement key easily.

Comment

ok i got you but still on the new 1 its got the I instead of the a do i put the purple wire on the ignition point? since theres no a? And if i were to order a key where would i get it from a locksmith?
                    Last edited by cletus83; February 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM. Reason: added to it

Comment

I am gonna take a stab at how i would give it a try on the first go round...

with the switch positioned like in the picture below

starting with the bottom M and going clockwise you get this order:

M B M C I S
                      results in these wires going to each terminal:

M=SOLID BLACK

B=RED

M=BLACK w/YELLOW stripe,... both if more than one!

C=PURPLE w/White stripe

I=PURPLE...both if more than one!!

S= YELLOW w RED stripe

dont mix the M's!!!!!

My guess is the "I" does NOT stand for ignition..it stands for INSTRUMENTS and the purple wire supplies a power source for them!!!! so your gauges will power up when you turn the key on.

and the "A" stands for ACCESORIES on the original switch, which is instruments as well

good luck

bob

Comment

If you have the number, you get the replacement key from an authorized BRP/Evinrude dealer for around $6 each.

Comment

Originally posted by ezeke View Post
                          If you have the number, you get the replacement key from an authorized BRP/Evinrude dealer for around $6 each.
                          I have extra controls of both the bimini and the side mount styles.

the bimini controls you can read the number on the key and the choke plunger very easily

on the side mount control i cant see a number on the key at all...

and I couldnt see a number on the tumbler-chcoke botton the key goes into, either.

bob

Comment

i got it hooked up now like u said but its still not working if the wires got hooked up wrong before would it have messed the switch up? i checked the fuse in the fuse box theres only 1 fuse and 2 relays in the box is there a fuse in the electrical system on the engine anywhere that might have blown?
                            Last edited by cletus83; February 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM. Reason: miss spelled a word

Comment

The fuse for the wiring harness/ignition is on the engine. See circled on the diagram - it's part #514021, 20 amp.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X