converting a pull start to electric start. 1972 20 hp johnson

sbassman

Cadet
I am wanting to convert my 20 hp Johnson tiller (20r72r). To a electric start. Do you guys know where would be the best place to purchase this kit. I have a guy here that tells me he can sell me the starter, mounting bracket, solenoid, and necessary wiring and push button start button for 250 with some of the parts used or 500 new. I do not want to pay $500 but is 250 a good deal??? Any suggestions on how to make this cheaper or should I buy all the parts seperatly??

bradmond

Cadet
Re: converting a pull start to electric start. 1972 20 hp johnson

I'm almost done adding an electric start to my 85 20hp. Look at eBay for the starter,bracket,solenoid as you may find some parts that will work as long as your a careful shopper. I'm really looking forward to turning the key for the first time on mine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: converting a pull start to electric start. 1972 20 hp johnson

I am wanting to convert my 20 hp Johnson tiller (20r72r). To a electric start. Do you guys know where would be the best place to purchase this kit. I have a guy here that tells me he can sell me the starter, mounting bracket, solenoid, and necessary wiring and push button start button for 250 with some of the parts used or 500 new. I do not want to pay $500 but is 250 a good deal??? Any suggestions on how to make this cheaper or should I buy all the parts seperatly??

I guess whether or not it is a good deal depends on how badly you want it. I just now looked up the price of a new kit and sure enough it is $493. There is an awful lot of demand for used ones, almost seems like more demand than they ever built in the first place. I reckon you will have to decide.