Johnson steering control arm/shaft.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine is pretty rusted and I think I'am going to replace it. I know its a very hard job due to the fact that power head has to be removed(thats what I'am told). Part is also expensive. i have a line on a good one but it is for a 25" motor. I was wondering if anyone(maybe someone who has or does work in a good machine shop) knows if a machine shop could cut it down and machine the splines and threads on the shaft? the shaft is made that way so you would think it can be done

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson steering control arm/shaft.

which motor do you need it for. remember i have the 88 hp parts motor.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

20" 1996 88 special with trim and tilt.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Of course it can be done. When I worked at Mag-Lite I did it all the time to keep our machines up an running.

However, it might be cheaper to just buy a new shaft than pay a machinist to do it.

And what are you talking about steering control arm/shaft? the drive shaft?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You will be far better off to get a good used steering arm from a salvage yard. Those list new for over $600. US.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

The steering control arm is the part that has the arm out from the motor which connects to your steering(rack or hydraulic). It has a shaft which goes down and attached to the motor midsection. Retail on the part is over $400.00. For some reason on the older ones used in salt water they had a tendancy to rust. Part really holds motor to boat. It breaks your not going anywhere and your motor will get wet, as in fall off the boat. a good machine shop should be able to do it for a reasonable amount

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very common for them to rust out on salt motors, it is an area that people miss when rinsing. retail from BRP 0392518 STEERING ARM ASSY.. 20 in. (508mm) Transom Models Only 1 $626.76 USD

the T n T does not mount to the steering arm, it mounts to outer housing, swivel bracket.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tasha. i think I can get a 25" pretty cheap(new in the box) like under $100. Going to check with a machine shop i know monday. I think it can be machined down to a 20". the hard part is going to be getting the one off!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

very common for them to rust out on salt motors, ........

A big part of the reason that they rust badly is that the the motor's anodes are not maintained so the steering arms take on the role because they are next in line.

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I noticed I have this problem too. But I sure can't afford to replace that part now.

In looking over old threads on the subject I was glad to see a couple of posters say they'd never seen or heard of one failing. Also saw some product suggestions like Naval Jelly and Fluid Film to arrest the rust and preserve whatever integrity is left. Anyone use products like that with any success?

Last edited:

Mine is pretty rusted and I think I'am going to replace it. I know its a very hard job due to the fact that power head has to be removed(thats what I'am told). Part is also expensive. i have a line on a good one but it is for a 25" motor. I was wondering if anyone(maybe someone who has or does work in a good machine shop) knows if a machine shop could cut it down and machine the splines and threads on the shaft? the shaft is made that way so you would think it can be done

hi did you replace this part, how hard was it if you replace it?
I have a 1989 J88MSLCER Evinrude and is very hard to steer in any direction and this part y very rusty so im looking to change it.... http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1989/J88MSLCER/MIDSECTION/parts.html in this diagram the part that is very rusty is number 7, is the same part that you are talking about?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

carlos I understand you are trying to help but this thread is 2 years old and long past dead.