replacing water pump in '51 Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmarshall43

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to replace the water pump in a 1951 Johnson, 5.5hp model TN-27. I have dropped the lower unit but the pump is up in the exhaust housing. How do I get it out?

Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: replacing water pump in '51 Johnson

I need to replace the water pump in a 1951 Johnson, 5.5hp model TN-27. I have dropped the lower unit but the pump is up in the exhaust housing. How do I get it out?

Thanks

5.5 didn't come out till 54. You have a 5hp. Those are a star impeller on top of the lower gearcase in the plate above where the gearcase mounts
you'll see some screws on the bottom that secure the housing. Impellers are still available at vintageoutboard.com :cool:

wbeaton

Commander

There is also a cable that runs from the neutral clutch on top of the motor down to the lower unit. If its not frayed then remove it from the clutch lever. If it is frayed then just loosen it as much as you can. The following link can show you what to do.

http://hoodad.fortunecity.com/index2.html

PS. Be careful with the lower unit while you are taking it off. Even if you drain the darn thing it'll still try to dump oil all over the place.

gmarshall43

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. That web site is really helpful. Is the water pump in that '51 5hp the same as the ones used in mid to late 50's 5hp motors?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the replies. That web site is really helpful. Is the water pump in that '51 5hp the same as the ones used in mid to late 50's 5hp motors?

The impeller in the TN series 5hp motors with neutral clutch (like yours) is the same as the one for the CD 5.5hp motors with gearshift.....EXCEPT the center hole is too small by .010". If you ream it out .010" (to 7/16") it will work

Purvis

Cadet
I would also like to replace my impeller on my Johnson TN27 1951 5 HP. The link above at hooded does not seem to work.
Does anyone know where I can find a video on this procedure?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would also like to replace my impeller on my Johnson TN27 1951 5 HP. The link above at hooded does not seem to work.
Does anyone know where I can find a video on this procedure?

Start a new thread. After almost ten years any links will be dead.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.