Johnson 48 Special Control Cable

N4WJT

Cadet
When I lifted up on the red 'button' that releases the control lever to be pushed forward or pulled back for reverse, I felt a snap and the control lever could not be put in 'forward' or 'reverse'. I was able to take a pair of pliers and lift up enough on what was still attached to the end of the cable to put the motor in both reverse and forward to get the boat back on the trailer. Is this 'button' assembly something that can be replaced or will I need a complete new lever assembly?

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 48 Special Control Cable

What is the year of your motor? I am not too familiar with what you are describing. Evinrude had the push button electronic shifting in the 60's and 70's. I don't think you have that. Sounds like you just have a shift cable that needs to be replaced. To do that you disassemble the control box install a new cable and the attach it to the motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he is talking about the squeeze safety on the shift/throttle lever on the control. dismount the control remove the center screw on the back, knock out the handle, and investigate.

N4WJT

Cadet

tashasdaddy, you are correct. I just didn't know how the red plastic piece was attached to the cable. Looking on the 'inboard' side of the lever, the red 'bar or button' is loose in the handle, free to move up and down. Looking on the outboard side of the handle, there is a similar red plastic piece at the base of the lever at the pivot point that is in a slot inside the handle but doesn't move when you lift up on the button at the top. I suspect bottom piece is still attached to the cable. When dissasembled, can a new red piece be installed inside the lever? As you said, I need to remove and investigate.

tashasdaddy

all it is, is a simple lever lock, so that you do not accidentally put it in gear, sounds like it broke. replacement is part # 0332428 SLIDE, Neutral lock 1 $9.73 USD

N4WJT

Cadet

tashasdaddy, Thanks for all the help and by the way "Go Gators", even though I'm an alumni of UT and and Vol fan. I hope someone in the SEC gets a chance to whip Lane Kiffin very soon.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I dont think the red "squeeze" button is attached to any cable...it is just a lock on the lever so it cant be moved accidentally... I am betting.

the controls cables are attached to the ends of the shift and throttle feet inside the shifter housing..

I would guess there is an inteferance lock somewhere between the handle and the body of the "control" box.

good luck

bob

tashasdaddy

bob, you are correct