Folding outboard?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Perusing CL as I don't feel like working.

Came across an ad for a "folding Outboard"

Anyone ever seen one before?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/1581309239.html

Here's a rare find. This is a 6hp Evinrude with a folding leg. I would guess from the late 60s or 70s. Last ran about 3 years ago until someone went to pull the shaft apart and broke off part of the powerhead to shaft bolt tabs on the lower leg/shaft side. ( IT WASN'T ME ). It is totally complete and in decent shape. The broken tabs are completely repairable and weldable as it is aluminum. No time to repair so it is up for sale.

The clean aluminum pieces in the lower right photo are the tabs (both tied together with string so as not to misplace them) and just behind them is the bolt that fastens the tab.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Folding outboard?

Nice power head on that thing, it would be a good addition to my collection.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's a shame its broken, yes they are quite collectible if the original case is included with them. Believe it or not folding ones existed way before these models, 1930 Evinrude Fold Light 2 3/4 hp for example was a model that folded.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Would be a great one to have in the collection.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Would be a great one to have in the collection.

Actually there's a funny story behind this one. My wife knows i'm a huge outboard nut and was talking to her boss the other day about my new "kh7". He mentioned to her that when he was a kid , him and his father had a small tinner and he had his own motor so he sent her a pic of it. 1960 something MINT MINT MINT 3hp folder. I was in shock as I want one so i started asking the questions, does your dad still have it blah blah blah. He emailed me back and said he'd ask his dad. So I waited a good 3 hrs thinking I was going to be the new owner of one of these neat little motors only to find out his dad gave it away!!!! Needless to say I was pissed.....this could have been mine!

image001zz.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Nice little folding Evinrude, except it's not a 6, it's a 4. Later version of the old 3hp FoldTwins and I'm guessing about 1970. I have one just like it in my shed, but it's not a fold twin. What looks like the shifter on this, is actually the throttle lever.:D

Nice looking little motor there BK. I can see why you would be upset. Looks just like the little bugger I just fixed up.:cool:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Bah I'll find another one, just gotta keep looking :D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I just heard back from the guy and it is infact a 1968 Evinrude 3hp Folding Twin. Last year of the 3hp. The 69 was upped to 4hp.:cool:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well, I just heard back from the guy and it is infact a 1968 Evinrude 3hp Folding Twin. Last year of the 3hp. The 69 was upped to 4hp.:cool:

The pic I posted? or the pic in the ad :confused:
I thought it was a 3.