1964 Lark 6? Model number question

lindy46

Captain
This 1964 Evinrude I've been working on has a Lark 6 Cowl on it. However, the powerhead, lower cowl and leg are all painted Polychromatic blue, and it looks original. Lark should be gray. The generator looks like it has been added, as the mounting bracket is white. The model number and serial number match on the ID plate and welch plug: Model Number 40463R, Serial Number E02795. From these numbers, can one tell whether this is a BigTwin (with a Lark cowl) or really a Lark?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Lark 6? Model number question

This 1964 Evinrude I've been working on has a Lark 6 Cowl on it. However, the powerhead, lower cowl and leg are all painted Polychromatic blue, and it looks original. Lark should be gray. The generator looks like it has been added, as the mounting bracket is white. The model number and serial number match on the ID plate and welch plug: Model Number 40463R, Serial Number E02795. From these numbers, can one tell whether this is a BigTwin (with a Lark cowl) or really a Lark?

40463 is indeed a 1964 Lark. Surprise: The buyer had a choice of blue or gray. Blue was 40463 and gray was 40473 (long shaft models). Now you wouldn't want the colors to clash with the boat, would you?

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1964 Lark 6? Model number question

Great! Thanks F_R. I didn't realize the Lark actually came in anything but Gray. But I like the blue better anyway. I'll go ahead and order the Polychromatic Blue:) If I decide to put it on the Starcraft, it will look great.