1973 60 HP Johnson

Martman

Seaman
My brother in law has a 1973? 60 HP 3 cylinder jonhson he wants to get rid of, he is out of boating. It runs but needs a piston, when I phoned about parts the dealer told me these are obsolete and junk and were no good to begin with. What is the opinion out there on this motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 60 HP Johnson

Be sure on the year, they never made a 60 in 73.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: 1973 60 HP Johnson

If the motor is 60hp, it is either a 1970 or 1971 motor. If that's the case, the main problem with it is the ignition system and possibly the hydro-electric shift system, if either has problems. The main reason for this, is that there are a number of NLA parts in each system. On the other hand, I have a '72 Johnson 65hp, with hydro-epectric shift, which has been run hard and is consistently reliable. I also like it, because if the shift system fails it defaults to forward gear, which means I will get home.

If the motor really is a 1973, its a 65hp and it has hydro-mechanical shift and a mageneto CD ignition system. Its basically the same engine as mine, but has mechanical shift linkage to the hydraulic shift mechanism, instead of electrical solenoids.

You motor could be perfectly useable, or it could be junk. As for the motors being "no good to begin with," your dealer is mistaken. In their day, they worked just fine, if properly taken care of. The main problem with them now is parts availability.

???