1987 evinrude leaking

beck4

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 87 evinrude 70 hp that is leaking what looks to be gear lube from where the prop meets the lower unit. when i checked the gear lube it was milky. i just changed it at the start of last season. any ideas? is there a gasket or seal that would need to be replaced and can i do it myself. dont like to pay big bucks if i can do it. also the motor quit on me at full throdle on the river 1 day and now i dont have any spark. i was thinking power pack but i would like some other input before i just buy parts. i know there is alot of ?s but any input would be alot of help.

turn2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1987 evinrude leaking

Is the leak the same color as the milky oil in the foot? or is it black and smell of gas? Yes there is a seal behind the prop. You have to pull the bearing carrier. If the leak is Black and the oil milky, it is usually the carbs flooding unused gas through the prop. No fire ,ck your kill switch first. No ffire does not sound like the pack but the stator. A pack can lose all power but not usually. Unplug the harness at the engine and use a remote starter button across the solenoid and check fire. That deletes the control box and kill switch.

beck4

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 evinrude leaking

i have already tried to fire the engine with the harness disconnected and it will crank but i still dont get any spark. sorry should have been more specific, even with the harness plugged in the engine will crank using the key like normal i just dont have spark. correct me if im wrong but if its the kill switch it wont even crank using the key right?? as far as the leak there was alot of helpful info in that linc so thanx. THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS FORUM!!