81 Evinrude 50 mounting problem

dickbayer

Recruit
Hi Guys
My first post form Cape Town, South Africa. I have two of these long shaft motors on the back of my 17" Ski Craft sea going boat. These motors are skrew mounted and have no auto trim. My steering was very stiff and after some elimination, I found the right hand motor was very stiff on turning around the vertical pivot of the motor mounting. I greased the pivot via the nipple half way up this pivot. Plenty grease coming out the bottom but nothing out the top and it remains stiff to turn. I have the manual for the Evinrude motors but it gives no detail of the mountings. Can anybody tell me how the motor is actually fixed to the mounting as it seems there is a bracket running into the lower motor casing. I would like to remove the motor from the mount so that I can get to the pivot shaft for servicing. I took of the little cover at the front where the bracket enters the motor but I cant see how it is fastened. Took the two little plates of the bottom mounting and there it seems one can undo the lower rubber mountings to loosen the motor from the mounting bracket. All help will be appreciated!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 81 Evinrude 50 mounting problem

keep working it, a little heat, the grease has harden and has to be freed up.