1960 Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin

DAVE-L

Recruit
Hello everybody i'm new to iboats!!! but i was wondering if this is a good motor its a 1960 Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin? it is in great condition from the looks of it. i'm new to boating and i got it for my jon boat. i wasnt able to start it when i picked it up becuase it was snowing here and his out side water was frozen. do I need to do any thing when I start it besides make sure it is in water and has fuel? Thanks any info will be helpfull and useful.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3

Fiftyfivefloater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960 Evinrude 18 HP Fastwin

That sure is a mighty fine looking motor! I wish my '55 looked that good. No doubt you have come to the right place. The guys here are very knowledgeable and friendly.

DAVE-L

Recruit

Thanks, yeah it looks good, i hope it runs as good. The guy i got it from said it had about 5hrs of use, it sat in their basement since 1960 then he ran it in 06!!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iBoats DAVE-L:D:D

Very nice motor. I would suggest changing the water pump impeller. Chances are, it's in crumbly shape. Also check the ignition system over and make sure that the coils don't have any cracks in the insulation.

The very first thread in this forum labeled "Top Secret File" is a good read and will give you lots of good tips for "Awakening a Sleeping Outboard" This thread will give you all the steps to check your motor over and give 'er a good tune up.:D:D

DAVE-L

Recruit

Hopefully these are a little bigger than before, that was my first time posting/resizeing pictures.

Attachments

• PAINT1.jpg
    PAINT1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PAINT2.jpg
    PAINT2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PAINT 3.jpg
    PAINT 3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PAINT 4.jpg
    PAINT 4.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PAINT 5.jpg
    PAINT 5.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 3

DAVE-L

Recruit

Thanks, 1946Zephyr i will definitely check it out.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

The Fastwins are some of the best motors ever made. The same configuration (more or less) went from 14HP up to 25HP. Treated right you'll get another 50 running years out of it.

jbjennings

Captain

You have a SUPER NICE motor there! One of the best original specimens I've ever seen of that model. It would probably be a show winner if you were interested in such things. It's probably not worth a huge amount, but as said, will last you the rest of your life and probably someone else's, too. You just need to check your coils for any kind of cracks, clean and regap the points, clean the carbs, make sure water is not entering your lower unit by replacing the lower unit oil and checking it after running, and replace the water pump impeller whether it looks good or not. The impeller will have "taken a set" from sitting that long. Just replace it and if it runs good, it will stay running good.
You made an excellent choice with that motor. I, too, think the 50's and 60's 18hp OMC motors were some of the best ever built.
Welcome to iboats!:)
JBJ​

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

:DThese motors are no good at all. Don't even think about using it. PM me to tell me where it is and I'll come out to personally dispose of it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

:DThese motors are no good at all. Don't even think about using it. PM me to tell me where it is and I'll come out to personally dispose of it.

Hahahahahahaha using jbjennings lines huh? He used this last week on an old Sportwin thread.:D I love it....and I totally agree. I have a '57 Fastwin that will get a bunch of my TLC, once I get moved. Won't find a much better looking one than the one posted here.:cool:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The Fastwins are some of the best motors ever made. The same configuration (more or less) went from 14HP up to 25HP. Treated right you'll get another 50 running years out of it.

Technically, the 14hp motors were quite a bit different than the 15hp counterparts, but the 15hp was a lot like the 22 cube fastwin of 57. Yea, you're right.... great motor design all the way up to 1976.:D

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

The 14's used the same powerhead as the 15's from 55-56. The whole lower portion is the same from the early 50's through the mid 70's. Mostly the same. Rick

kbait

Commander

Right-o, rick.. Don't assume you'll mix and match gears/dogs/forks!

Cyborg Pirate

Seaman

Hello all....
I am a new member however been reading threads off of here for years. And of course supporting iboats with thousands of purchases....lol.
Anyway, just wanted to get in here and say thank you. I picked up a 1960 fastwin a few months back to use on my inflatable dinghy. I read the waking thread and followed it over the last few months. Yesterday mounted it on the boat and fired her up. She ran for a few seconds and dies at idle. ( I discovered I have a terrible leak in the fuel connector). So needless to say I haven't had a chance to have her out yet. I did follow another thread on removing the orings in the connector. And today ordered Sierra 18-7111 orings from iboats. So hopefully in a few days I will get to run her. According to the previous owner.... Has not been ran in 27 years. Soooo we r anxiously waiting to bring her back to life. Meanwhile I am customizing the cowling. (It was pretty mard up. So painting it to match the inflatable and my House boat.

But again thank you to all who have given me a lot of help along the way without even knowing:)