"New" '57 Lark Crankcase update with pics

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
With the help of others pointing me in the right direction, I was able to split the case halves and see what I've gotten myself into. Concerning rust, the news is GREAT! :) There was no rust on the crank bearing surfaces or bearings themselves. This put the project in forward motion. The only issue that I see from the case side is some "blow by??" on the crank counter balance for the number one piston connecting rod. I probably have some ring issues...hopefully no damage to the cylinder walls. ...Or, do you think this is only an "upper seal issue?"

I have not removed the head to inspect...but that is my next step.

What do you think...check out the pics:

Mas

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: "New" '57 Lark Crankcase update with pics

Main thing to look for is any scoring on the pistons or cylinder walls. Of course, you'll want to buy new rings and hone it all out nicely before you put it back together, but inspect the cylinders and pistons closely for any score damage:cool: It looks pretty good inside. :D:D

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I hope to remove the head by tomorrow. Although it is not anywhere a complete inspection, the #2 piston looked really good through the exhaust port from what little I could see. There wasn't any carbon buildup on the rings either. Again, this does not tell the story & I'm anxious to remove the head and inspect.

Mas

Willyclay

Captain

The story just keeps getting better. That motor should last another 50 years!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

It will last another 50...question is, will I??? I've got the genetics on my side. My grandfather was 96 when he passed. In fifty years, I'll be 95 1/2. I'll keep you posted on that one!

Mas