Super Seahorse 50?

Hy-Ryder

Recruit
I was given a 1978 Hy-Ryder 15' Boat with a Super Seahorse 50. I checked the motor over and I can't seem to find The serial number or model number of the motor. So, I was just curiouse if someone could tell me About this motor. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I do know that it has electric start and is a V4. Thats about it. lol

Fuel mix?
Pros?
Cons?
etc.

Thanx in advace

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Super Seahorse 50?

v 4 50 hp is an early 1960's motor, look for quarter size disc with the numbers on it. on the block.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Super Seahorse 50?

v 4 50 hp is an early 1960's motor, look for quarter size disc with the numbers on it. on the block.

Not quite correct. The V4-50 was made two years, 1958 and 1959. Lovingly called the "Fat Fifty" a term originating from Mercury. 1958 had a beautiful gold and white metal cover with chrome trim. 1959 had a fiberglass cover, you be the judge of it's looks. They ran on 24:1 fuel mix, much arguement over that. They were a real workhorse, shoving a heavy load with ease. And of course nobody ever mentions one with being sure to say something about them being a world class gas hog.