1988 xp200 no spark #5 & #6

88 rude

Recruit
I currently have no spark on Cylinders #5 and #6 cylinders. I have visually inspected the Stator and flywheel. They look good, no loose magnets and the stator doesn't show any signs of melting. The motor reaches more than 300 rpm when starter is spinning. The power pack was replaces about 3 months ago. Some days I don't have spark on any cylinders. Today I have spark on all but #5 & 6. When I move the wire that goes from the power pack to the #3 coil to the #5 coil I have spark on the #5 cylinder. This should rule out bad coil. I have been struggling with this for a while. Any help would be appreciated.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 xp200 no spark #5 & #6

Have you removed all of the plugs and grounded them for your test? Will the spark jump 7/16 with a sharp blue spark under these conditions?

You need some kind of spark test device to do this well.

Remove the ignition coils so that you can clean the base and ground wires, they won't work if they are not well grounded.

38089.jpg

Troubleshooting: http://cdielectronics.com/downloads...linder 1988-2000 185-250 HP (Quick-Start).pdf

88 rude

Recruit

I have done what you said. I actually have the same tester you posted. Still no luck.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Have a look at the troubleshooting guide, not sure if your motor has or doesn't have quick start.

It does have QuikStart and S.L.O.W.

I have a feeling that you will be needing at least the troubleshooting parts of this: http://cdielectronics.com/InstallSheet/113-4037.pdf

You might want to test the kill circuit to be sure that there is no voltage on it, and, the ignition coils, because if they fail, they can damage the powerpack.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You need a DMM with a DVA do diagnose and performance test the stator, the trigger, and the power pack output voltage. It's quite possible you have a combination of a back pack and bad coils. I've seen it many times.

Unless you have the tools and the manual (or the CDI bible, which is a great reference and free) your working in the dark on this motor.

88 rude

Recruit

The links you guys sent have great information. While trying to check the spark again my batteries seem to have a problem. They were working fine and now they can?t turn the starter. I ran the starter from jumper cables and it seems to work fine. I am going to take my batteries in to get checked out. I would love to find out that it was my batteries the whole tome. That is a simple fix.

88 rude

Recruit

One battery had a dead cell. I installed a new one. The motor spins a little faster than before. Still only spark on 4 Cylinders. When I get some more time I will check the timming base.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Get yourself a good meter with a DVA as it sounds like a timer base problem.