Idle\wide open problem

15flats

Seaman
OK, I got a new VRO unit, installed it. Went to the library and got a manual to correctly install it. If I push in the key about every 10 seconds it will keep running. When I put it in gear and throttle up, it will run for about 10 or 15 seconds then die.

All these problems started 2 weeks ago when my kid took my fuel can and filled it with gas and the can had water in it. I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel filter, lines and bulb. I drained the main tank, replaced with fresh fuel from a new fuel can, and put one bottle of ISO HEET in the fuel to insure the water was removed.

For the life of me I can't figure this out. Could there still be water in the fuel that I may have missed?

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Idle\wide open problem

Is the valve on the VRO unit turned to the correct position? On mine, it is a red knob with a point on it.

What year model do you have?

Water in the carburetor or fuel pump, float valve in carb stuck?

Pushing the key in squirts fuel into the intake system. So it sounds like the carb either is not getting fuel or it is not mixing fuel into the intake system.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

The valve I am referring to is a schrader valve used for fogging and decarbing the engine.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although I am not sure what exactly happens if the valve in the wrong position. I never did it. I was just throwing that out there.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jason wrong info, the red knob is on the primer valve. nothing to do with the Vro pump. Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

15flats, would help to know year and Hp of the motor, did you use a vro or oms pump?????

also could have clogged jets in carb, you have a fuel deliver problem

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would think that when you push in the key it runs. That means you are getting fuel to the carb bowl. So the problem would be in the carb jets. Clean them.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jason wrong info,
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying as my info is wrong. Most of my info was the same as yours. That as why I replyed with disclaimer. Correct, the valve is not part of VRO pump. I was just trying to envision where the pump is. I am pretty sure you have to take it all apart including the solenoid but I could be wrong there as well.

I am also confused about your comment on using it to start the engine with a dead battery and a pull rope. If it is for what you say it is, and I have no way of manually starting my engine, why does my engine have that valve?

15flats

Seaman

Well I pumped some more gas out and found very small trickles of water. So I guess a new main tank is in order now. Have to eliminate water as the problem first.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well I pumped some more gas out and found very small trickles of water. So I guess a new main tank is in order now. Have to eliminate water as the problem first.
You certainly need to get the water out of there. Do you have a water separation filter in line ???

15flats

Seaman

Yeah, bought one today (Water seperator). Also bought the fuel additive that is an enzyme to help with fuel problems like water,E-10, etc......

15flats

Seaman

Replaced the main tank,fuel, seems to be doing a little better, but does not want to remain idling or throttle up. What should be checked next? And should the cover to the carbs be on while testing or does it matter?

Ocean31@bellsouth.net

Seaman Apprentice

If it helps I ran into the same problem with a older 115 that the first time I ran the engine I got water in the line.

What I ended up doing is basicaly what has already been mentioned, but here it is in detail.

I pulled the tank, totally drained it, even used a little hand pump to get the last bit out. Installed a fuel water seperator (walmart sells a inexpensive attwood system). Pumped up the fuel line from the tank and drained that. This way I insured any water in the fuel line was out.

Then I pumped up the carbs, pulled the brass screw from the bottom of the bowls, draining the carbs. With the brass screw out I gave each carb a little shot of carb cleaner, letting the cleaner also drain out. Short story I had to do this about 6 times to insure I got all the water out. Then and only then did the engine run right. I have to mention how much I worked at getting the water out. Just draining the bowls once or twice did not work. I had to make sure the water was totally gone from the fuel line, tank, carbs and so on. For me there was no short cut here, believe me I tried. I had intended to get out on the water that day, but ended up spending all day getting just that little bit of water totally out of the system.

Hope that helps.

JSB

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The enzymes will not help with water that has separated in the fuel tank. Remember that gasoline and oil float on water and that the fuel pickups in your tanks are on the bottom, so any water gets sucked in first. That's why having the full-sized water separating filter is so important, and why you need to dump the filter frequently if you are having a problem.

We used a product called dry gas when I was younger - it was just pure isopropyl alchohol which would mix with water temporarily to form a combustible mixture.

Recently I have been using an automobile fuel pump to pump the fuel through the water separating fuel flter and back to the tank.

15flats

Seaman

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kept draining and using Carb Cleaner like Gamble3936 said, took about 45 minutes of pumping-starting-draining-repeat, but when the engine started to chug for the last time, it revved way high, then idle back down and continued to run.

Now for one more question, and hopefully my last on this for a long time. When I put the outboard in gear, I feel it engage immediately, but I have to push the throttle arm more than 3/4 forward before I get any response as in engine speed increasing. Is this an adjustments a expert\shop should do? What is a fair price for adjustment\inspection?

15flats

Seaman

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kept draining and using Carb Cleaner like Gamble3936 said, took about 45 minutes of pumping-starting-draining-repeat, but when the engine started to chug for the last time, it revved way high, then idle back down and continued to run.

Now for one more question, and hopefully my last on this for a long time. When I put the outboard in gear, I feel it engage immediately, but I have to push the throttle arm more than 3/4 forward before I get any response as in engine speed increasing. Is this an adjustments a expert\shop should do? What is a fair price for adjustment\inspection?

Can someone point me in the right direction on this? Please...

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

When it is in the full open position on the lever is the motor at WOT as well ??

15flats

Seaman

When I push the arm all the way forward, it is at about 3/4 open, maybe just a little over 3/4, but not completely. It just does not respond after the point of engaging the outboard, have to push the arm over half way to get a response. Unless this is normal?