Help: 6hp shift lever

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for a shift lever for a 1967 6hp Evinrude outboard model 6702S-E14920. I have looked on BRP website, but they want $125 for a piece of aluminum. I have emailed a bunch of outboard salvage yards but only 2 have responded and there selling a new part for $90. I have looked on Ebay and emailed sellers for over 2 weeks without any luck.

Does any have or know someone who has an 6hp shift lever for 6hp Evinrude year 1967 and is willing to sell it for a reasonable price. My understanding that Evinrude/Johnson 6hp outboard shift levers for year 1965 to 1977 will fit my motor.

I know this site is not the classifieds or ebay, but I'm getting frustrated and hoping for some luck. Also I don't know any welders or machinist that would repair or fabricate a part.

Thanks for any help!
Cajuncook1

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Help: 6hp shift lever

Go to aomci.org , create an account and post your need under "webvertize", someone should have something for you.

Cheers

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First let me say - good luck.

I check ebay at 5am every morning hoping one will come up as a buy it now.

Hasn't yet.

I have 5- 6hp (some parts motors) all have broken handles.

The only handle I have came off a 1963 seaking 5hp that I bought for the handle.

I have some broken ones if your interested

or you could go this route:

l_998a215319f3429281b21ada7cc7f808.jpg

or, vise-grips

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

yep, this is caused by people laying motors on the wrong side during transport. Always lay a motor on the port side during transport. Especially on these, because you have to pull the powerhead to replace them. You're actually suppose to set a motor on the back end, but you need something there to keep it from tipping over, so during transport.....port side only. Here are some more salvage yards that could help you with a shifter:

sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com

Someone there could give you a decent price on something.:cool:

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I have a couple of nibbles, so in the next couple of days I'll see if can set the hook on a used shift lever. If I can't land one then I'll some how fashion an attachment. Thanks for all the really good suggestion!!!!

Oh, I send dozens of emails to salvages yards and only 2 responded back with offers for new shift levers ranging from $85 to $125 plus shipping:eek:

Cajuncook1

kbait

Commander

Call Tim's outboard. 218-682-2331.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Score!!!! Just bought a good used shift lever for $22.50. The price also includes shipping as well. Emailed a guy parting out a 1972 6hp Evinrude. I don't think he knew or looked up the value of the part. :). The guy even sent a picture of the part and it is in good condition.

Twin city outboards were offer a good used 6hp shift levers for $45.00 plus shipping. I was about the get one from them but got a better deal from the guy mentioned above.

Thanks for all the suggestion and advice. I think after I replace the old shift lever, I will try to rig up a fix as a back up for the future.

Cajuncook