shifting problem on 66 rude

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice
hello all, i have a 66 9662a evinrude with a shifting problem. its real hard to shift between f n r. sometimes you have to play with the throttle to get it to go. i have done some searching and everything i have found has been related to cable controlled units. my shifter is on the engine. i checked the lower end oil and found no water at all along with clean oil. i plan on doing an impeller here shortly and would like to take care of this problem while im in there. any advise is greatly appreciated.

also, i have noticed last two trips out , that when sitting at a high idle waiting for the trailer, that when i throttle up it runs like it has no power at all for about a min and then all returns to normal. normally this would have made me think fuel starvation/ clogged jets, but it only does it when its idled for a few mins. im thinking maybe its loading up with oil in this time. it smokes like crazy when i does its little tantrum and then all goes back to normal. i was thinking about cleaning the carbs while i had everything else apart. i do run a good fuel filter in the line between the tank and motor.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifting problem on 66 rude

If "playing with the throttle" helps, there might be a problem with the interlock system. It is designed so that you can only shift at slow throttle settings. Does it idle slow? Your other question sort of suggests that it doesn't. There is a knob at the hinge where the tiller pivots up. That is the idle speed knob. If set for too high an idle speed, you can't shift. Perhaps because it isn't running correctly, the idle speed knob may be set way high to keep it running???

Lots of things can cause your loading up situation. Improper adjustment is one. A ruptured fuel pump diaphragm is another. Smoke inhalation is another. Does it run better with the hood off (a famous 9.5 problem)?

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

its hard to get into gear no matter what the engine speed is. idle is about right, and as far as i can tell it idles pretty good. ill have to double check how high its set, what is the correct amount of turns for the initial setting?

the only time i have had problems with the cover on is when running it in a barrel. ive never had an issue out on open water.

about whats the proper idle rpm? ill put my tester on it and try to get it pretty close.

it only seems to have the problem running after a long ride. when we run back to the marina to get the trailer.

when i say play with the throttle, it almost acts like a manual trans with worn out syncros.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

its hard to get into gear no matter what the engine speed is. idle is about right, and as far as i can tell it idles pretty good. ill have to double check how high its set, what is the correct amount of turns for the initial setting?

the only time i have had problems with the cover on is when running it in a barrel. ive never had an issue out on open water.

about whats the proper idle rpm? ill put my tester on it and try to get it pretty close.

it only seems to have the problem running after a long ride. when we run back to the marina to get the trailer.

when i say play with the throttle, it almost acts like a manual trans with worn out syncros.

When I mentioned the idle speed knob on the hinge, I meant the one that sets the desired idle RPM. There is no such thing as correct number of turns. It more or less acts like holding the accelerator pedal down a bit on a car. You set it so it idles at the rpm you desire when you turn the twist grip as far toward "slow" as it will go.

Between that idle rpm setting and the maximum shifting speed there should be some available rotation of the twist grip. If you don't have that leeway in throttle movement, the interlock will prevent shifting.

If that is not the problem, then your shift has something loose or broken or sticking, or whatever. Can't tell you what it is without looking.

Broken motor mounts--another famous 9.5 fault--will also mess up the shifting. Grab hold of the flywheel (not running, duh) and see if you can move the whole powerhead fore and aft. A slight rubbery feel is normal, but gross fore and aft movement is not. That is broken motor mounts.

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

My mistake, I thought you were talking mixture knob. Yes there is some available rotation. I did notice it seems to move pretty free like there were worn out mounts. I was looking them up the other night. Although it does the same thing when not running. its almost impossible at times to move the shifter without firing it up real quick.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My mistake, I thought you were talking mixture knob. Yes there is some available rotation. I did notice it seems to move pretty free like there were worn out mounts. I was looking them up the other night. Although it does the same thing when not running. its almost impossible at times to move the shifter without firing it up real quick.

Well, shifting when not running is a different story. When running, the gears are constantly spinning and you catch it on the fly. When not running, the gears may not "fit", and in that case it is impossible to shift it without rotating something (flywheel or propeller) till they do "fit" and click in. That part is completely normal.

kmaysob

Seaman Apprentice

Well, shifting when not running is a different story. When running, the gears are constantly spinning and you catch it on the fly. When not running, the gears may not "fit", and in that case it is impossible to shift it without rotating something (flywheel or propeller) till they do "fit" and click in. That part is completely normal.

i agree 100% they do not "mesh" properly when not running. when it is running and you put it in gear, it acts like it does when not running. i know the interlock is not blocking it, it will go in, just not all the way. a couple times its gone close enough to let the interlock loose and you end up over reving it. i am pretty sure it needs mounts. its got a little play when cold and when warm has a ton of play. makes sense as most of my problems were when running it for a long period of time. i noticed it this weekend when doing a decarb. idles alot better now. ill replace the mounts when i do the impeller. im also gonna change the lower end oil. its nice and clear, but i dont know when it was last done.