Carburetor Problems for 1990 Johnson 60 hp

drfuller59

Recruit
I have a 1990 Johnson 60 hp outboard motor that will not stay running. I've had $1,600 boat repair to it. Rebuilt 3 carburetors, replaced stater. After carburetor "rebuilding" motor still not running correctly. It runs for about 15 minutes at 3500 rpms then just dies quickly. After about 5 minutes, it will restart and runs only about another 5 minutes then dies again. Still have problems cranking motor when it's cold, no matter how much I choke or don't choke it.

Repair shop had problems setting carburetors on motor; brought back to shop 5 times. They finally took the boat back to the lake and found carburetor adjusting screws were off. Ran fine for 3 outings but still have a hard time cranking the motor when cold.

Motor has good compression, new spark plugs and new fuel. Mixing oil on my own; looks good. Does the motor have an oil shut off sensor if the mix is bad?
Mixing oil and gas 2 to 1. 16 oz oil to 5 gallons of fuel.

Baffled why we can't figure out what's wrong. Do I need new carburetors???
Seems it's either electrical or carburetor.

HELP PLEASE!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Carburetor Problems for 1990 Johnson 60 hp

Check your spark for starters when it dies. Sounds like something electrical.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sounds electical agree. coils, power pack heating up and failing.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd start with the basics. The only adjustment on each of the 3 carbs is the low speed mix screw. That will have nothing to do with running and stalling at 3500 rpm.

Back to the basics. #1- What spark plugs do you have?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Also, what exactly is your starting procedure, step by step?

You might not be aware that engine overheating can cause your stalling symptoms. Besides failing thermostat, the engines were subject to problems related to the tell-tale or overboard indicator as detailed in SB 2276. Please click the thumbnail.

Attachments

• 2276.JPG
    2276.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 2

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Also, what exactly is your starting procedure, step by step?

You might not be aware that engine overheating can cause your stalling symptoms. Besides failing thermostat, the engines were subject to problems related to the tell-tale or overboard indicator as detailed in SB 2276. Please click the thumbnail.

It runs for 15 minutes, if it were overheating wouldn't it shutdown after a couple of minutes compared to 15?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It runs for 15 minutes, if it were overheating wouldn't it shutdown after a couple of minutes compared to 15?

Possibly, but the problems related to the service bulletin were caused by air entering the cooling circuit. This was more related to operation and setup than to time.

This was of sufficient concern that Rapair (Now CDI Electronics) also published it in their electronics troubleshooting guide.

Attachments

• CDI 2276 Document.JPG
    CDI 2276 Document.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1