Problems occasionally starting my 50hp johnson ouboard?

danakabartlett

Recruit
hi

i have a johnson outboard 50hp, 1972, model 50RL72C on my speedboat. I am very happy with the engine, only have a problem sometimes with idling. Once used, if we stop for a while, say quarter an hour, half an hour or so we will have problems restarting and can take quite a while. my dad thinks my might spark plugs and even the ht leads being as they look original. Also it can cut if left idling for too long. I dont expect amazing idling from a 2stroke but would like it to be more useable.

I would also like to give the engine a service were do you recommend to purchase carb gaskets etc in the UK, all website i find are in America.

Many thanks
Dan

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problems occasionally starting my 50hp johnson ouboard?

hi

i have a johnson outboard 50hp, 1972, model 50RL72C on my speedboat. I am very happy with the engine, only have a problem sometimes with idling. Once used, if we stop for a while, say quarter an hour, half an hour or so we will have problems restarting and can take quite a while. my dad thinks my might spark plugs and even the ht leads being as they look original. Also it can cut if left idling for too long. I dont expect amazing idling from a 2stroke but would like it to be more useable.

I would also like to give the engine a service were do you recommend to purchase carb gaskets etc in the UK, all website i find are in America.

Many thanks
Dan

Depending on your service history you may well be overdue for some maintenance work. Sounds on the face of it like you need to rebuild and clean the carbs but that may well not be the case. You should do a basic health check on the motor if you have not already and go from there.
Compression
Spark
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition
Post results.
Is this a salt water motor ??
When was the last time the lower unit oil and impeller were changed out ??
Read the "Top Secret Files" at the top of page 1 in this section for a ton of useful information.
If you are in England a local dealer may be your best bet for parts.
Good Luck and welcome to iboats.