engine doggin' it ??

bluefinn

Cadet
So..1976 35 hp Evinrude LS Outboard. Running fine one day then next day, wont get on plane.. In neutral, engine seems to rev up fine but in gear and under load, boat will only go 1/3 speed and does not get up to WOT.

Funny though...every now and then, it sputtered into high rev's for an instant then returned to doggin' it.

I checked plugs and wires, changed the fuel ( and cleaned the tank and fuel siphon) and inline filter and cleaned the screen filter...but no change.
Honestly, this is a motor that has just run and run so I probably have been neglectful and was planning a full tuneup anyway..

Before I start playing with it, I figured I'd get some insight from this bright group.
I was thinking carb issue with a jet blocked ??

Thanks all.

Last edited:

kbait

Commander
Re: engine doggin' it ??

I think that motor is the last year for points ignition. Your symptoms describe dropping spark on one cylinder exactly. Dirty points would do it. If there's no cigarette sized black box marked cd-2 bolted to the powerhead (electronic ignition box), my bet is dirty, pitted points. You should be able to remove 'em, file 'em up and re-install at .020". Good luck!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would check over the condition of the coils and make sure none of the insulation is cracked on them. I have seen these things work fine, when they're at home with muffs on, but act up, when they're out on the lake. The extra moisture in the environment is just enough to make them ground out and malfunction. Sometimes, you'll find a little black spot on the mag plate, underneith where the coil sits. Like kbait says too, check your points over real good too.:cool:

bluefinn

Cadet

Thanks for quick response. I believe it is elec ignition. 2 small black boxes ( 582508 OA 12T10 ) adjacent to plug wires with a bigger odd shaped black box mounted vertically on other side of block.

Any way to test these that a guy with limited multimeter skills could do ?

BTW...boat is used in salt water exclusively hence my guilty mind about not being more maintenance minded..

thanks for the great ideas..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your compression and spark, read ethanol and carb cleaning here. all of this is covered in the TOP SECRET FILE, 1st thread in this forum.