Why Marine Ties

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why Marine Ties

It's easy to over tighten a metal clamp and cut the hose or crush a plastic fitting. Lots of "stainless" clamps have steel screws which rust. A true Marine tie wrap has a curved part on the lock end. Besides, they're much neater looking.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's easy to over tighten a metal clamp and cut the hose or crush a plastic fitting. Lots of "stainless" clamps have steel screws which rust. A true Marine tie wrap has a curved part on the lock end. Besides, they're much neater looking.

Not to mention cheaper and easier. Fact of the matter is, the clamp is not supposed to prevent leakage and should not be used to stop a leak. The hose is supposed to fit tight enough that it would not leak even if there were no clamp. If you have a leak, fix it with a good, proper fitting hose. Then clamp it. The clamp provides an extra margin of safety, plus prevents the hose from blowing off.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

And....I have noticed on some fuel filters and connectors on my Yamahas, a ridge is designed to fit the ty-wrap. A clamp would not fit inside the ridge.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You know, every time I see a hose with a tie-wrap on it, I think of all the time and money Merc spent back in the early days when they used reinforced fuel lines and brass crimped NPT pipe nipples to connect the numerous components in the fuel system. Wonder if the mastermind that determined that ties and regular non-reinforced hose would do just fine got a raise for his idea?

Mark

Last edited:

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Is there an Internet supply selling these Marine Ties cheap?

Mas

bassboattech

Seaman Apprentice

these are to be used in outboards not i/o , quicksilver makes them and land and sea dist can get them also

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

What's cheaper and quicker for the factory? I don't hesitate to replace the ties with good quality stainless steel clamps. At least then one can be quite sure that there is not an air or fuel leak. And clamps make disassembly and reassembly possible on the water.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Is there an Internet supply selling these Marine Ties cheap?

Mas

Any BRP dealer can sell you a package of 100 for list of around .20 each.

Attachments

• 0320107.jpg
    0320107.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Jeez, I can't say I would feel comfortable using zip strips to hold hoses on. They are tough as nails and all, but unless you have a zip tie gun handy, I can't see ever getting it tight enough to be considered an asset to any connection. They do make great cable holders, though.

My trusty hose clamps have not failed me yet (besides the occasional non SS one). I agree you must fight the temptation to tighten them to death. A new hose is cheap, a crushed fitting probably isn't.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lets not forget to talk about application. If it's a large hose you might want to consider a hose clamp. The really small ones you want to use an OEM tie wrap for sure.

Also read the above post twice about the hose creating the seal not the tie wrap and live by those words.

For the small fuel fittings found on johnny rudes those OEM tie raps work great. You can sinch them down with needle nose pliers to a good tensile strength.
I woudln't use or suggest plain zip ties. They don't seem to have the tensil strength of the OEM ones and they don't have the curved end to allow them to tie around the line.

Snapper clamps work well too and are available in different sizes.