72 seahorse starting issue

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 seahorse starting issue

Did you verify that the path behind the low speed needle to the carburetor throat is clear? Did you pull and replace the core plug?

Edit: Beat me to it, TD.

Also, did you install the spring clip between the float arm and the valve needle?

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    Float Valve Clip 2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0

FIRE34

Cadet

Yes when i rebuilt the carb i pulled all core plugs and made sure all of the passages were clear as can be. But will try and clear with paper clip or someting small enough to fit in the hole.And yes the clip is on i have never taken it off. Thanks for the input

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

you do have the primer bulb connected with the arrow going the way of fuel delivery?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Fuel present flowing from hose that normally connects to carburetor BUT no fuel is entering carburetor = sticking float needle valve.

Engine fires when gas is squirted in carb throat but only for a few seconds, BUT will not fire when attempting to start normally = flouled, clogged, gummed high speed jet located in bottom center of carburetor float chamber.

FIRE34

Cadet

Ok. So yes the arrow is pointing to the point of delivery or else it wouldnt pump fuel through the pump. And every port in the carb is clear. The carb should have no issues now. And it should run. Like i said before i unscrewed the needle three quarters the way and it ran but wouldnt idle low. So i tried adjusting and it would even run after that. And i am positive that the ports are clear. The cylinders are getting fuel, good compression, and plenty of spark. So theoreticly it should run. I geuss the needle needs to be adjusted correctly. But when i follow the instructions on tashasdaddys forum i have no luck. Anyone else have this problem?

kbait

Commander

Check the reeds behind the carb. They create vacuum by stopping the out-pulse and allowing the in-pulse so the carb can function. If they don't close correctly, that could cause your problem. Not a common issue, but you seem sure of the carb and spark, so it's worth a look. Good luck.