Johnson/Evinrude tell tale modification

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1970 6hp Evinrude. I want to add a tell tale to it. Has anyone ever done this on a smaller outboard? I read other post on here that was for the larger outboards. I appreciate any info. Thanks.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Johnson/Evinrude tell tale modification

Thanks. I had seen that, but I am limited on space on my 6hp. On top of head, I can only get 2 fingers in between head, and flywheel. Tight sqeeze. Any ideas?

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks. I had seen that, but I am limited on space on my 6hp. On top of head, I can only get 2 fingers in between head, and flywheel. Tight sqeeze. Any ideas?

I have a 1973 Evinrude 6HP motor that should be the same as yours. Let me look at mine tomorrow and see if I can find any possible locations. Meanwhile, maybe some of the experts will post their recommendations.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate that. I have a parts 6hp. I could do some expireminenting. :D

Willyclay

Captain

Just got through looking at my motor and agree with you it is tight. However, there might be enough space to do what forum member Larky did on his 50HP motor (see FAQ thread). I plan to pull my motor apart this winter because of low compression on the bottom cylinder. If it is rebuildable, I will try to make the telltale mod then and document it with pictures. Maybe my old brain will not forget you and I can send you a PM with the results. Good luck!

Last edited:

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That would be great. You think there may be enough room on the top (using a short 90 degree elbow? I may experiment using blown powerhead parts (that away i'm not out anything on good motor).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if either of you are successful. please document, i will ad to the existing faq. let me know.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sure thing.

Willyclay

Captain

You think there may be enough room on the top (using a short 90 degree elbow?

Yes, I do think a 90 degree elbow will work from the top of the powerhead not the cylinder head.

iwombat

Captain

Is there enough room to tap into the exhaust cover? That's where OMC preferred to place theirs.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like I have about 2" to play with on exhaust cover. I tried to send pics, but they didn't go through.

Last edited:

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you go back to the first page of this under Frequenbtly Asked Questions, down near the bottom is a link to 9.9/15hp motors. On this I also have info on other small motors, the 6 hp is one that I have done the conversion & show how it is done.

Willyclay

Captain

I also have info on other small motors, the 6 hp is one that I have done the conversion & show how it is done.

Thanks! I had looked at your thread previously but had forgotten about the 6HP info. Looking at p/n's on BRP's website, I found a different p/n from my 1973 for the Exhaust Cover in 1977 and another p/n for 1978 & 1979. The gasket is the same from 1973 through 1979. Any chance one of those later Exhaust Covers has the factory telltale nipple? I couldn't see anything in the diagrams.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may be on to something. I'll do some digging. Thanks for the info.

griggsb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok. I couldn't tell either from the diagrams. You may be on to something.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

lots of good info on that sticky posted

when I rig up tell tales sometimes instead of point the stream down, I point it UP.....it's a little easier to see and people seem to pay attention to it more, and you don't have to buy the choker nipple.

Just route your hose down through the orginal hole, and pull your hose up so it's pointing up...drill another hole in the cowl to secure the hose with a zip tie or whatever and wala.