Optical Ignition Question

Thumbtack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Johnson 90hp 4-cyl. j90plee p or R (can't read last letter)

I have no spark on all cylinders and everything is diconected at the engine so I am bypassing everything from the helm. I am on the step where you test the yellow/red wire for voltage while cranking and have a couple of questions.

First off, is this the wire at the top of the coils on the port side of the power pack? There are two plugs up there each with a bunch of wire and that one on the port side is the only one I could find.

Does it have to be plugged into the power pack to get 12v?

If this is the right wire I can't seem to get 12v there no matter what I do. I tried to put 12v to it while while cranking to see if spark would come back but it didn't and the engine started to raise up which I thought was strange.

Any ideas, maybe a wire diagram?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Optical Ignition Question

Johnson 90hp 4-cyl. j90plee p or R (can't read last letter)

I have no spark on all cylinders and everything is diconected at the engine so I am bypassing everything from the helm. I am on the step where you test the yellow/red wire for voltage while cranking and have a couple of questions.

First off, is this the wire at the top of the coils on the port side of the power pack? There are two plugs up there each with a bunch of wire and that one on the port side is the only one I could find.

Does it have to be plugged into the power pack to get 12v?

If this is the right wire I can't seem to get 12v there no matter what I do. I tried to put 12v to it while while cranking to see if spark would come back but it didn't and the engine started to raise up which I thought was strange.

Any ideas, maybe a wire diagram?

The red and yellow wire gets power only from the ignition switch when the key is in the start position. It runs to the positive small post on the starter solenoid as well, so if your starter solenoid is working the wire at the powerpack should be hot at the same time.

Thumbtack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh ok, I am bypassing that. I am going straight from my remote battery directly to the starter with the wires from the helm disconected. So then I shouldn't worry about the yellow/wire having 12v or not?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The voltage to the powerpack comes from the starter side of the solenoid secondary pole, if I remember correctly. So if you jumper the solenoid to energize it, power should be sent to the powerpack.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Jumping 12 volts to unknown wires can sure do damage too.
I hope you are using a service manual...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You need the power to the powerpack at the start to energize the optical ignition. When you crank the starter you should do so by jumping positive voltage to the small positive post on the solenoid which will send the needed voltage to the powerpack at the same time. Otherwise, battery voltage should not be applied to any part of the ignition system.

See the last section [Engine stays in QuickStart all of the time]
in Bill Kelly's CDI troubleshooting instructions: http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

Thumbtack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is the link i am using (bill kelly's cdi troubleshooting) I am at step 7 of no spark at all, but i'll try jumping to the small solenoid post instead of going to the starter

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It says it is. I have not compared them word for word to see if it is the most recent version. I find Mr. Kelly's setup a lot easier to read.

SparkieBoat

Captain

by the way the last letter in your model # is a B
J90PLEEB

Thumbtack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I have everything hooked up and am turning the engine over the correct way now. I now have voltage at the wire that I didn't have it before. I think i found the problem, between the brown and brown/white (or yellow I forget as I'm not at the engine right now) I have a high resistance of like 930 instead of 450-600. I also have low voltage there. I might have a second problem as I kept testing after this and found no voltage at the sensor wires but I'll deal with that after I get the correct readings from the stator wires. I already have it off and am trying to find one.

Thank you all for your help!!!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I dont want to set you back at all.
BUT...

I have an OSI motor and I had an issue that the motor lost spark! would crank all day long, zero spark...

found out that a wire was broken in the harness.......it was the yellow/orange...( or was it yellow /black??)

it was one of the 6 wires in the 6 wire plug( there is only onme plug with 6 wires in it!)

after it was repaired by the mechinic it failed again..(poorly crimped wires!!)

I had the same issues so i found it myself that time and soldered the wires!!!

so obviouslt this wire stopped all juice from getting to the spark pluig and it was broken BEFORE it even reached the motor!!!

good luck

bob

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

If you want to test it without the boat cabling attached I believe it will run with the big red plug - un-plugged. I've never done it but I hear it's possible.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I dont want to set you back at all.
BUT...

I have an OSI motor and I had an issue that the motor lost spark! would crank all day long, zero spark...

found out that a wire was broken in the harness.......it was the yellow/orange...( or was it yellow /black??)

it was one of the 6 wires in the 6 wire plug( there is only onme plug with 6 wires in it!)

after it was repaired by the mechinic it failed again..(poorly crimped wires!!)

I had the same issues so i found it myself that time and soldered the wires!!!

so obviouslt this wire stopped all juice from getting to the spark pluig and it was broken BEFORE it even reached the motor!!!

good luck

bob

The black with yellow striped wire is the kill wire; if it is grounded, the ignition cannot fire. One of the early troubleshooting steps is to disconnect the wire and try for spark. Unplugging the large harness plug disconnects the kill wire from there forward but you can easily stll have a short between the plug and the powerpack.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I think Bob is talking about the harness coming from the stator to the power pack. it is a 6 wire plug. Just a guess.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I think Bob is talking about the harness coming from the stator to the power pack. it is a 6 wire plug. Just a guess.

no I was talking about one of the pig tails coming from the controls.

what can be confusing with these motors is the early ones had the big red plug and the later ones used 3 or 4 pig tail connectors.

there is another big connector under the motor covered with a plastic piece bolted to the block, I am sure the same thing could happen there as well..

but it is less likely because the plud connector doesnt move, to make wires break, like a harness running under the floor of the boat does.

good luck

I am the opposite of an electrical wizz, just passing on my experince that sounds very similar to the OP 's issue

bob

SparkieBoat

Captain

I am not rich enough to own a motor that new...didnt know they had switched from the big red plug...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am not rich enough to own a motor that new...didnt know they had switched from the big red plug...

funny I bought a 1997 90 hp Ocean Pro and was given the controls as well.

but the motor ended up having a knock and i looked around and found a 1995 115 Ocean Runner and installed that, but the 1995 motor had a big red plug, while the 1997 motor had the pig tail harness..

needed and adapter to connect the control to the motor!

bob