1985 johnon v4 140

sred137

Seaman
I've narrowed my problem of my motor bogging and sputtering to a bad VRO.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to locate it.

I would like to change out my existing vro with a regular premix fuel pump.

1st can this be done by simply unbolting the vro and bolting up the new fuel pump and plugging the pulse line?

2nd can anyone tell me the part number for the new fuel pump and possibly a link as to were to find it online?

Thanks for your time
Shawn

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 johnon v4 140

As mentioned, just be careful. When OMC put the old standard pumps on a V4 looper they used 2 pumps. I've seen V4 loopers with one old style pump and some supply enough fuel, some don't. I saw one that the guy burned pistons a couple of times and finally put the correct pump on and never had another piston issue.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thank You Sir,
It is even cold in Alabama at the moment !!!!! no need for the spring jacket I brought !!!:eek:

Hand crank with the muffs on into a container for about 20 seconds.
Measure amount of fuel in container
Multiply by 3 for amount per minute
Multiply by 60 for amount per hour
Post results.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 2 cents for all its worth ..Replace it with a NONE VRO Pump for 279 bucks and NEVER have to worry about the fact if the engine is getting the correct fuel ratio, I seriously question if the pump shown on the aforementioned link is adequate in every which way.
http://www.dixiemarinesales.com/detail.aspx?ID=2

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"Oh yes it is !!!!!
Capable of pumping more than twice the amount of fuel than is required. Tested and proved.
Did you get different results ????? "

I don't believe that your one test is comparable to Mr Hadley's considerable experience.

The fact is that OMC did not sell the 140 looper V4 using only a single conventional lift pump.

sred137

Seaman

Hand crank with the muffs on into a container for about 20 seconds.
Measure amount of fuel in container
Multiply by 3 for amount per minute
Multiply by 60 for amount per hour
Post results.

I can not do this test due to the fact that I have a junk VRO can I?

Or is this a test to see if the VRO is in fact the problem?

Thanks Shawn

sred137

Seaman

What type of pressure tester do I need.I know your response said gear case pressure tester but I can not find that specificley on line.I their just a general pressure tester that I can find online?If so a link would be great.Not looking to spend a lot of money on one.

Thanks Shawn

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

"Oh yes it is !!!!!
Capable of pumping more than twice the amount of fuel than is required. Tested and proved.
Did you get different results ????? "

I don't believe that your one test is comparable to Mr Hadley's considerable experience.

The fact is that OMC did not sell the 140 looper V4 using only a single conventional lift pump.

Just posting what I found by testing.
Take it for what it is or not as you choose. 3 other similar motors in my neighborhood are all doing fine with them.
Just my 2 cents though.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The pump shown is adequate. The old style pumps that look kinda like a "house" are questionable. The pump in the link is the same as the oil injection pump but just without the oil side. It will continue to increase fuel flow with rpm unlike the old style pump which will pump only so much and not increase flow with rpm.