1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet
Well, I really don't know a thing about boat motors. However, after my girlfriend and I moved from our place, to her parents house, There trying to get me to find out a little more about this old motor in their garage. Its a 1956 Johnson Javelin and as far as they know, its been sitting out there since at least the 60's.

I did a little bit of research on it and it appears to be a pretty rare motor, only being made for one year? It went for about $500 something back then, which I assume means it was a pretty high end deal.

Anyways, It seems like You folks here know a thing or two about boat motors, so I figured I'd sign up here and ask a few questions.

I'd like to know just how rare this motor is, are they fairly common to run into when You actually look? To me it seems that boats/boat motors are the kind of thing that is normally stored away, making even the rare ones not so "rare", but I could be wrong.

I'd also like to find out a rough estimate on about how much this thing is worth. Which I assume would be hard to estimate considering I don't know a thing about it. So really I have no idea if it runs or how much work it would take to get running. The inside of the thing is amazingly clean, almost like brand new, even all the lettered stickers on the thing are still there (the ones that tell You how to operate it, what speed its set to ect.).

But yeah, they want me to try and sell this thing for them (Their not very good with computers). So any information You guys could provide for me would be highly appreciated.

Here's some pics.

album1051.jpg

album1044.jpg

album1035.jpg

album1036.jpg

album1031.jpg

album1033.jpg

Here are a few more pics, apparently I reached the max of 6.
http://yfrog.com/2palbum1045j
http://yfrog.com/4calbum1032j
http://yfrog.com/0nalbum1037j
http://yfrog.com/2palbum1044j
http://yfrog.com/2palbum1041j

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1956 Johnson Javelin 30hp

Nice looking engine. yes it was made for that year only but the parts are pretty easy to find for it as they are common off other engines.

It's worth a few hundred. It depends on the condition. If it has sat for 40 years then there are certain things that need to be done to get it running. Check the top secret file at the top of the forum. Look under 'awakening a sleeping outboard'. Usually it will need new coils and an impeller.

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll be sure to Check that out.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If it turns over and has compression, it's still worth $300 to $500. I'd check the clubs/chapters page at www.aomci.org for a web site for an Ohio chapter...swap meets are coming up in spring and some clubs have web sites with free "for sale" and wanted listings. Those are great motors...try to see that it goes to a home/buyer who will appreciate it.

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get oil in the cylinders right away.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that's a beauty. It's a Javelin which makes it even nicer. I think it'll clean up really nice too. A few guys here would kill for a motor like that.:D:D

lindy46

Captain

Looks like someone removed the electric starter - if you replace it, it is a 6 volt system.

Willyclay

Captain

If you need a service manual, I can help you out with a free copy of a non-factory manual. Just send me a Private Message with your email address and I will reply with it attached. Good luck with that great old motor!

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's mine restored. I wish I has the money. Would like to run a a pair of them on my boat.

Greg

Attachments

• 1956 Johnson RJE-18 C 021.jpg
    1956 Johnson RJE-18 C 021.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1956 Johnson RJE-18 C 011.jpg
    1956 Johnson RJE-18 C 011.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 2

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see this salmon colored treasure has a dual hose fuel system. In other words you need a pressurized fuel tank. Those old style tanks are getting VERY hard to find and spendy when you find one in good condition.

Is there one that comes with the motor? Transferring these over to a single hose fuel system is as easy as buying a fuel pump, drilling a few holes and installing it on the motor. To keep the value, leave it as is and sell the tank with it. JUST the tank is worth $75-100. ;)

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet

Here's mine restored. I wish I has the money. Would like to run a a pair of them on my boat.

Greg

Man that thing looks absolutely amazing, almost makes me want to fix this thing up and use it, if only I had a boat.

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet

I see this salmon colored treasure has a dual hose fuel system. In other words you need a pressurized fuel tank. Those old style tanks are getting VERY hard to find and spendy when you find one in good condition.

Is there one that comes with the motor? Transferring these over to a single hose fuel system is as easy as buying a fuel pump, drilling a few holes and installing it on the motor. To keep the value, leave it as is and sell the tank with it. JUST the tank is worth $75-100. ;)

There isn't a tank with it as far as I know, I'm not entirely sure though, they have so much old stuff in their garage the tank may actually be in there somewhere. I'll have to search around back there for it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Exactly why I encourage you to find a good home for it...hope a local/regional aomci chapter can help you out there.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

There isn't a tank with it as far as I know, I'm not entirely sure though, they have so much old stuff in their garage the tank may actually be in there somewhere. I'll have to search around back there for it.

Talk to samo_ott. He says he has several of those pressure tanks. I bet he would work out a good deal with you.:cool:

gjonz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I'd drive to Hamilton from Toledo if the price is right. Can't have too many Javelins.:D

I-75 is a boring drive, but I'd survive somehow.

Greg

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet

Well I'd drive to Hamilton from Toledo if the price is right. Can't have too many Javelins.:D

I-75 is a boring drive, but I'd survive somehow.

Greg

Well I'm not exactly sure how much their looking to get for it, I'll be sure to talk to them about it first thing in the mourning. I'll make sure to mention the trip You'd be making to pick it up, that should certainly put a good dent in their asking price.

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet

Well apparently their asking $450 but the price is negotiable. If your still interested just let me know what Your willing to pay. You can email me at Jimmy_UOC@yahoo.com or just send me a private message on the boards.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The electric starter is missing, the (Javelin only) cover over the recoil handle is missing, and it has been ran hot. Just so you know....

Jimmy_2k9

Cadet

The electric starter is missing, the (Javelin only) cover over the recoil handle is missing, and it has been ran hot. Just so you know....

I have no idea the effect running one hot has on the motor, is that something serious? Like I've mentioned above, I know next to nothing about working on these things, how can You tell from the pictures its been ran hot?

I've also noticed the recoil handle cover is missing, as all the restored ones I've seen have had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.