1952 QD-13 Johnson 10hp

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1952 QD-13 Johnson 10hp

My Johnson service manual shows the QD's changed over to the universal in 1951. As I said before, I think the power head on the motor in this thread has been changed over to an earlier one.:cool:

wbeaton

Commander

I agree with you, 1946Zephyr, That is a 1949-50 ignition so the motor is likely a QD-10/11. The coils look like new style Sierra's on the old laminations. Test them with a multimeter. They probably work.

The old mag plate may not work as a direct replacement. I know JBJ had some trouble trying to retrofit a newer mag on a 1952 QD (I think). Turned out the timing was different. If Jason comes mayb e he'll shed some light.

The QD-10/11 lower unit is completely different than the 1953. Post your model number so we can help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I agree with you, 1946Zephyr, That is a 1949-50 ignition so the motor is likely a QD-10/11. The coils look like new style Sierra's on the old laminations. Test them with a multimeter. They probably work.

The old mag plate may not work as a direct replacement. I know JBJ had some trouble trying to retrofit a newer mag on a 1952 QD (I think). Turned out the timing was different. If Jason comes mayb e he'll shed some light.

The QD-10/11 lower unit is completely different than the 1953. Post your model number so we can help.

Somebody has replaced the original coils with newer ones on the old laminations. Looks pretty good.

As for replacing the whole thing with the newer style, somebody's got to show me and I'm not even from Missouri.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, it's possible that the points cam may be keyed a little different on that model, than on the universal ignition system models. The only way to tell, is if the part numbers on the cranks are the same or not. If the cranks have the same part number, then I can't see a reason why one couldn't take the mag plate off of a 1951-52 QD and convert it. the Cam will have to be changed too, in order for the timing to collaborate with the points and coil. The 1953 model could possibly have some differences, because that was the first year that the QD had the Roto-grip throttle set up.:cool:

wbeaton

Commander

Somebody has replaced the original coils with newer ones on the old laminations. Looks pretty good.

As for replacing the whole thing with the newer style, somebody's got to show me and I'm not even from Missouri.

My 1949 QD-10 has the universal ignition. I know its not original, but I don't know how the conversion was made since I never really cared to look into. Could be I have a later QD powerhead or possibly the crank and mag were swapped together. Maybe I'll take a look when I go home in a couple weeks.

Jeremy1986

Seaman

hi guys,

i found the model number on the side of the engine today and i made a mistake it is a qd-11 not the qd-13.

thanks jeremy

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wayne, your QD10 has the universal? Cool mod. And where are you for a few weeks? Out west? I'm down in Cuba on the slowest internet ever. I think it's dialup! :(

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does the QD-10/11 even HAVE a separate breaker cam??? Aren't the flywheels different? Sure wish I had a motor to look at right now. Matter of fact, I'd like to have a 10hp anyway.

wbeaton

Commander

Steve, I was in Alberta, but now I'm in the field with work. I'll be home in another week or so.

FR, I wish I had my QD-11 parts motor with me to verify, but now that you bring it up I think the timing cam maybe built into the flywheel. I really wish I could give a definate answer on that.

Either way, Jeremy, since the coils have been repaired/replaced by someone obviously knowledgeable I'd just test the mag with a multimeter and see what you've got. I'd be surprised if they didn't work.

There is no carb kit for that motor, but there also isn't too much in there to replace. You can use the new replacement float or reseal the one that is in there.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Does the QD-10/11 even HAVE a separate breaker cam??? Aren't the flywheels different? Sure wish I had a motor to look at right now. Matter of fact, I'd like to have a 10hp anyway.

Yes, the breaker cam is in the flywheel on the QD-10 and 11. which would make it interesting for putting the flywheel back on. One has to turn it slowly as they replace it, or they can risk breaking the push rods.:cool: