115 Evinrude Fitch Ram warm starting problems

Ezkertza

Recruit
Hello to all Members;
I bought 2nd hand BW 17 Outrage with an Evinrude 115 Fitch Ram (2000). I checked it and also changed the sparks with 180 hours (The motor it?s now 200 hours). When it?s cold (also after not been used for a week) starts perfect and maintains continuous RPM. After sailing 30 minutes with no problems and stops for diving, fishing, etc . . the engine don?t starts. I?ve to use the throttle ? and do many starting attempts. The battery is Ok and the starter also. This weekend my mechanic (Evinrudes official dealer) checked the engine with the computer and all the parameters were ok. So please, has anybody the same problem and do you know how to solve it? I don?t want to change the engine because it has few hours and when it starts the boat runs perfect.
Thanks.
Carlos
-Spain-

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Evinrude Fitch Ram warm starting problems

Several threads on similar problems have suggested that sticking injectors cause the problem you describe by flooding the cylinder(s).

Ezkertza

Recruit

Thanks ezeke;
Do you know if is possible to solve this problem using any injectors cleaner added in fuel or is necessary to replace injectors?
Carlos

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

When the motor doesn't fire up, but cranks over OK, listen for the electric fuel pump sound when you first turn the key to ON. If you don't hear it, chances are that the engine computer (EMM) is breaking down internally and will have to be repaired. There are other things that can cause starting problems, but the EMM is the hardest and most expensive problem to solve.

Contact dfitechnologies.com for repair

Ezkertza

Recruit

Thanks seahorse5;
As you said, before startig I can heard the electronic pump working. So I think the problem is with fuel, inyectors, . . .

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Check to be sure that there is good water flow through your EMM and fuel vapor separator. Sometimes the vapor tank gets plugged up with sand and someone bypasses it. Now the fuel gets hotter and hotter as the motor is running and the engine may have warm-start problems because of it.

Also a tech should check the stator cranking output per the service manual when the engine is warm.

Ezkertza

Recruit

It?s sounds to be possible . The fuel was very dirty when I bought it and I installed a racor filter and fuel/water separator. But I dont know since when the engine was runing with dirty fuel. Do you know where is located the "vapor tank"?.
Thanks so much

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

go to : evinrude.com and you can pull up parts diagrams...click on parts and accessories then click parts...enter your year and model and go to fuel components :cool:

Ezkertza

Recruit

At least I?ve the engine repaired. You were Ok!! The problem was the in the vapor separator. It was so dirty inside. I?ve replaced it and now the engine is perfect. Thanks so much.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

At least I?ve the engine repaired. You were Ok!! The problem was the in the vapor separator. It was so dirty inside. I?ve replaced it and now the engine is perfect. Thanks so much.

Glad to hear that it is fixed!

jakepart

Cadet

Tell me if this sounds like the problem you had.....

I have a 2000 Evinrude 115 hp fitch fuel injected. I ran it all summer long with no issues. Then one day in November I put what i thought was bad gas and then all of sudden while we were cruising along, the motor just died on us. After about 3o min or so with it not wanting to crank, it finally started. We got it off the lake and took it home. The next day, it cranked right up on the muffs in the front yard. We took it back out again to try and run the gas out of it, put about 10 gallons of premium to try and out weigh the bad fuel. Same thing.... the funny thing is that it will run fine at low rpms. Tried to get it going this weekend, put some cleaner in it and wanted to burn all the gas out but it didn't cooperate. It idles kind of rough, shakes more than i remember it doing last year. Had it going on the water for about 20 min then i noticed i was at WOT and only hitting only about 4000 rpm and 15 mph. Felt like it was struggling, then all of sudden again.....died!! After about an hour of cranking and sitting, finally got it running again. Ran fine for about 3 hours at 2000 rpm, still trying to burn gas out of it, but when i tried to give it more juice i felt it wanting to bog so i let up. I am at my whits end and hoping it is something simple. Please........ see if you guys can help me out.