What's wrong with warning horn

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1989 Evinrude and when I turn on the switch I get the initial short beep which is ok but many times it is a continuous chirping. This is with not turning over the motor and stone cold. Is this a short or could it possible be a bad horn.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's wrong with warning horn

A rythmic chirping usually indicates low oil in the tank. Check the tank to see if the sensor is exposed (tank is low.) Disconnect the wire to the tank. If it still chirps, I'd be checking out the horn as the problem. If it only chirps when the tank is connected, could be the sensor in the tank is bad.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Also..... While horn is sounding, remove the tan wire from the horn. If the horn continues to sound with that tan wire removed, the horn is faulty.

packerjh

Cadet

Hi, sorry to piggyback on this question, but where is the tan wire you're talking about? Is it the one at the head (temp sensor) or at the horn itself...if at the horn, is it inside the remote, or another access point? Thanks :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Horn test: Tan wire AT the horn.

Horn location: Usually within the box. However, if console controls, under console, follow tan wire from wiring harness to horn.

SparkieBoat

Captain

if horn is in the controls..it is easier to disconnect tan wires at engine and disconnect low oil wire..should result in the same result..I think.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

if horn is in the controls..it is easier to disconnect tan wires at engine and disconnect low oil wire..should result in the same result..I think.

You would have to disconnect the whole alarm system to do it from the engine and you still would not eliminate the possibility of a short in the harness; disconnect it at the horn as Mr. Reeves suggested.

packerjh

Cadet

So, with a horn that is in the remote, does the remote need to be opened for the wire to be accessed or is there an easier way?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

To do the test properly, yes, the remote requires being opened if the horn is located within it. Otherwise you would be overlooking a possible short within the wiring harness OR perhaps a pinched tan wire between that Tan wire and the remote control housings.