Lifting a '97 Evinrude 88 Special?

Sorexcuse

Cadet
Acquired this engine this summer and just got it mounted before winter. The proble is, the electric isn't all hooked up yet, and I need to lift the motor to the upper braced position in order to move it (got a free indoor storage space if I can get it there this weekend).

Is there a way to lift the engine manually? I pulled the locking pin and did some light pulling with no luck. Am I missing something? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lifting a '97 Evinrude 88 Special?

does it have trim and tilt. should be no reason to lift it to connect the harness.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You should find the PT&T manual release screw on the port side, recessed in the port transom bracket. Turn it out no more than three revolutions.

Sorexcuse

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it does have power tilt and trim, but my question is can I raise it manually so that I can transport the boat to an indoor location where I can then do the wiring? (it's 20 degrees here with wind and lots of snow, so moving it the 15 miles to get indoors is preferable to trying to hook it up outside - Current wiring is for an '89 Evinrude 70 and not fully compatible).

Thanks.

Ken

Sorexcuse

Cadet

ezeke - Thanks was typing while you were posting. Headed out to try it now. Thank you!

KEn