225 ocean pro lower unit

Caymandoc

Recruit
I have a 1998 225 Johnson ocean pro I bought 6 months ago that is on an a 24 foot angler. I recently replaced the 19 steel prop with a 17 aluminum because the steel one had over spun. Second time out on the new prop and it looks like the lower end unit is gone because when it's in gear the prop turns easily and has a "clunky" feeling to it. When I dropped the lower end the shifter was fine, and I noticed a few metal shavings in the gear oil.

Can I rebuild this myself?

Online a new one is about $2100!
Becuase this engine is older should I just put that 2000 into a pre owned 4 stroke for $7000?

Any suggestions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 225 ocean pro lower unit

A few metal shavings in the gear oil is normal. Perhaps the aluminum prop has a bad hub? You might try a known-good prop to see if the gears are OK. Make sure it is in forward for the test. You might want to shift to manually, versus using the motor linkage.

jonesg

Admiral

I have a 1998 225 Johnson ocean pro I bought 6 months ago that is on an a 24 foot angler. I recently replaced the 19 steel prop with a 17 aluminum because the steel one had over spun. Second time out on the new prop and it looks like the lower end unit is gone because when it's in gear the prop turns easily and has a "clunky" feeling to it. When I dropped the lower end the shifter was fine, and I noticed a few metal shavings in the gear oil.

Can I rebuild this myself?

Online a new one is about $2100!
Becuase this engine is older should I just put that 2000 into a pre owned 4 stroke for $7000?

Any suggestions?

My 150hp is a 1994 and I coinsider it modern compared to my 1959 and both run good,
1998 is just breaking in.

It sounds like the shifter isn't adjusted correctly,its not catching the gear.
Thats what I would presume until I could prove the lower unit is shot.
disconnect the shifter and turn the prop by hand, shift it manually and see if it drops into gear. Get the factory service book( not seloc/clymer either) so you know how to get it set up right.

SteveSC

Cadet

Just replaced the lower unit on my 2000 250 hp Ocean Pro.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/index.htm

They're in Florida....great bunch of people. $795 + $32 shipping. Brand new - 3 yr. solid warranty.

If you need a new strong lower unit these are the people to deal with.