Bad rectifier, motor not starting

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bad rectifier, motor not starting

For some reason it quit cranking from the key, will crank if I put a hot wire to the selonoid but still acts like it is not getting fire. Gotrained out so i could not check it farther.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

For some reason it quit cranking from the key, will crank if I put a hot wire to the selonoid but still acts like it is not getting fire. Gotrained out so i could not check it farther.

Sounds like an issue in the remote box, disconnect it from the motor- there should be a plug , then try. My rectifier was blown on my 90 and it still started no problem.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like an issue in the remote box, disconnect it from the motor- there should be a plug , then try. My rectifier was blown on my 90 and it still started no problem.

That's because the rectifier is for charging the battery----only. It has nothing to do with the ignition system or running.

patrick, re-read my earlier reply, if it is not cranking fast enough you won't have spark. Since yours isn't cranking at all without jumping, that gives credibility to what I said. Don't ignore the obvious.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's because the rectifier is for charging the battery----only. It has nothing to do with the ignition system or running.

patrick, re-read my earlier reply, if it is not cranking fast enough you won't have spark. Since yours isn't cranking at all without jumping, that gives credibility to what I said. Don't ignore the obvious.

Yes F_R, that was what I was conveying, as I said mine still started with a bad rectifier, 3 diodes convert AC to DC, wasn't charging over 13 volts at the time, it had 1 bad diode. He mentions if he jumps the solenoid it will crank but not from the key, that's why I said it may be a remote control issue or maybe bad/dirty contacts at the battery, by jumping I took it as putting power to the top post of the solenoid which would normally come from the ignition switch.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is cranking real good

Then you need to troubleshoot the ignition system to see why there is no spark. Keep in mind what bk said, there may be a problem in the control. Just one of those possible problems might be a bad ignition switch. That could cause it not to crank with the key, and worse, if it is feeding a voltage to the black/yellow wire will destroy the power pack. You need to know what you are doing when working on those systems, or poof!!!

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks F R I will do that as soon as the weather breaks. I got the manual, set me back 78 dollars:( but I am sure it will pay for it's self. I am going to start reading it and see if I can figure it out, if not I'll be back

jonesg

Admiral

$78 seems a lot but just read some of the daily posts here.

" I replaced the power pack but it still won't fire, so I replaced the stator and it still won't fire, the manual to too expensive".

Meanwhile after $450 in guessing and throwing parts at it , a manual would have helped find the simple problem.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks F R I will do that as soon as the weather breaks. I got the manual, set me back 78 dollars:( but I am sure it will pay for it's self. I am going to start reading it and see if I can figure it out, if not I'll be back
Either way, iboat rules (section 3, article 9, page 49, line 1) say.....ALL IBOAT POSTERS WILL report back to "the community" and post the solution to their problem, so someone else might learn from your mistakes, ignorance and inexperience.:D
$78 seems a lot but just read some of the daily posts here.

" I replaced the power pack but it still won't fire, so I replaced the stator and it still won't fire, the manual to too expensive".

Meanwhile after $450 in guessing and throwing parts at it , a manual would have helped find the simple problem.
LOL, As a lifelong auto tech I can sure relate to that.