How do I adjust the timing on my 1999 8HP Johnson

regulator23

Seaman Apprentice
It won't run, it periodically backfires when I pull it. It has good strong fire on both plugs. I pulled the flywheel and things looked OK there. Please point me in the direction for setting the timing. I think it must be way out of time.

regulator23

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How do I adjust the timing on my 1999 8HP Johnson

It won't run, it periodically backfires when I pull it. It has good strong fire on both plugs. I pulled the flywheel and things looked OK there. Please point me in the direction for setting the timing. I think it must be way out of time.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are doing yourself no favor by ignoring your previous thread and starting over, regulator. You are going to get the same advice and questions that did no good before. You will get nowhere until you answer them (or ignore them) again.

I suggest that you go back to that thread and work from there.

regulator23

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I haven't participated in a forum like this before and thought that having a specific topic in the subject line (the timing issue) would get more accurate responses. I have tried a lot of things that were mentioned in the other thread and believe I have it narrowed to a timing issue.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Thanks. I haven't participated in a forum like this before and thought that having a specific topic in the subject line (the timing issue) would get more accurate responses. I have tried a lot of things that were mentioned in the other thread and believe I have it narrowed to a timing issue.

I didn't know these motors could have timing adjusted, thought it was all controlled by the electronics. My money is on a carb issue.