Vintage Evinrude Ducktwin Motor?????

Baldwin

Recruit
I have (I suspect) a mid 50's Evinrude Ducktwin motor serial # 3016-01731. Can anyone tell me what the year and horsepower are? I'm looking to sell the motor and maybe get an idea what it's worth before hand. It appears to be very origional and was told that it runs fine prior to aquiring it. It's been stored in my heated garage for the past 7 yrs however never attempted to start it. Due to its excellent condition and simple enineering bearing no cylinder problems it shoudn't take much to get it running? Can anyone help, thanks, Aaron

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Vintage Evinrude Ducktwin Motor?????

Your motor is a 1955 3hp. If it has sat for that long, chances are that it needs a water pump impeller and a tune up.
Here is a good place to start, when awakening a sleeping outboard.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

This also has some info:

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...rude Johnson 3 HP 1952-1967 Model Numbers.htm

According to the "Old Outboard Book" by Peter Hunn, a motor of this vintage is worth about $200.00 in number one condition.

Good Luck, I hope this helps:cool:

kbait

Commander

If it's brown, it's a ducktwin. If it's in immaculate shape and running perfect, you could get $500 from the right buyer, as they're quite unique and you just don't see 'em for sale very often.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hell....if you can sell it for $500.00 I'd say go for it and have a wild party:D:D

jbjennings

Captain

Back when I was watching ebay, I noticed those ducktwins in good condition went for around $300 or more. I thought they were neat little motors and I'd like to have one myself, but I wouldn't be willing to pay $500 for a 3 horse, since I'm not that sort of "collector".:)
I liked the decal!:redface:
JBJ

kbait

Commander

I had a guy bring in a nice '67 suitcase lightwin that he paid $400 for, and spent $250 for complete go-over. He'd buy a ducktwin if it was clean and already tuned perfect for $500 easy. He just loves those 3hp's. I guess they're worth what someone will pay..

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Next time he shows up, recommend a restorer down south...like me! Don't have any Ducktwins on hand right now, but I've done 3 for an old bud of mine who collects them for his fishing camp/cabin. Never paid more than $200 for any of them...that's the luck of the draw, I guess. They are sweet little motors, when tuned correctly. There are four different variations, depending on the years made and different decal configurations, too.